Clear all

Experienced players opinion please.

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@spartan25)
Topic starter  

Hello,

What is your opinion on Bill Edwards Fretboard Logic? I did purchase the Whole set, DVD and 2 books. I have been watching it, i dont know maybey its me but when trying to learn the way he is teaching and compare it to all the other material out there, it is just a jumbled up mess in my head. Is this mostly a system that Bill himself has made up to make learning the guitar eaiser? The termonology he uses compared to alot of other stuff is confusing. Just want to know should I waste my time with this? or is it going to be just confusing in the long run? There has to be somone in here that has read the books or seen the dvd. Any input would be helpful. thanks.

(@rtb_chris)
Eminent Member

I know that a lot of players and teachers swear by Fretboard Logic...I swear at it (with a few obscene hand gestures thrown in). In my opinion, that whole system is nothing more than a quick and easy alternative to actually learning things like notes and music. It reduces everything into a series of patterns; ie 'use THIS pattern in THIS situation', completely devoid of music. Yawn. Is it any wonder that so many guitarists are at a complete loss when it comes to making/playing music?

The guitar certainly has inherent patterns and shapes; a little common sense and some experience usually reveals those patterns automatically. A little (and I stress the word 'little') light bulb goes off, and suddenly a few things become clear. Taking those patterns and basing a learning system completely on them is something I fail to find a great deal of value in, and from what I've seen it's done more harm than good.

I'm not saying it's completely worthless, but I simply don't care for (nor do I endorse) a pattern-based approach to the instrument. So many players never get beyond patterns, and the result is that everything they play and write depends upon those patterns in an almost paint-by-numbers fashion.

I imagine there will be some responses quite contrary to my own. :lol:

http://www.raisingthebarre.com

ReplyQuote
(@spartan25)
Topic starter  

Chris, thanks for your comments. I can really see what you are saying.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

I prefer a real teacher to any computer program or video because if you dont get something that they are saying, they dont help you. I definitly prefer a more hands-on experiance.

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

The problem with that approach is that many players will never bother to learn in the detail necessary to experience clarity on their own.

Fretboard logic is a good book. You need to have been playing for a while to make use of it. But it's eye opening when you understand it.

If you want an easier method of learning the fretboard, check out my review of Kirk Lorange's PlaneTalk.

ReplyQuote