Clear all

Facebook - the hard sell

11 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@alangreen)
Topic starter  

The lengths some people will go to!

Just been on the receiving end of a very high-pressure cold call sales pitch from someone saying they worked for Facebook trying to persuade me to buy advertising. They'd found my wedding music ad in the yellow pages. I asked them to send me something to read and they wanted me to log onto a website. They even tried to make it sound "exclusive" by saying they only targeted 10% of the market. I had to hang up in the end because she wouldn't shut up.

Last time I bought from a cold call like that was when a bloke had my Carphone Warehouse O2 contract in front of him. He cloned my card and went and bought himself a Lotus.

You have been warned.

A (We don't have a smiley for angry)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

(@almann1979)
Noble Member

Alan, i have jsut read on yahoo news today about a new facebook scam, sounds like you have been targetted with a similar thing.

Well done for raising the point, hopefully some others will take notice - I hate the idea of people getting away with things like this - it really makes my blood boil!!!!!

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

Never give financial or personal details to someone who contacts YOU. If they're legit, they can tell you how to contact them (checkably) and you can check them out, then call back.

If something smells funny, it is.

Thanks for the heads up.

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

(We don't have a smiley for angry)

You can borrow this one, if you like

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Having done a stint in the area of hard sell, I can tell you that all you need to say is "You're taught that the customer has the right to say 'No' 3 times - No, No, No."

That will work in all but the worst cases.

If they persist, ask for their name, dept. and postal address - you need them to pass to your lawyer.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

Another "get rid of'em" tip:

Say, "Can you repeat that? I want to make sure the recorder caught it." If they ask, clarify that you record all calls for security reasons.

Click.

Ande

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Another "get rid of'em" tip:

Say, "Can you repeat that? I want to make sure the recorder caught it." If they ask, clarify that you record all calls for security reasons.

Click.

Ande

I do that! And, it works! They usually hang up immediately after I say "this call is being taped"!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

That is a great idea!!!!!!!!!

im gonna use it from now on!

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Where I live it's illegal to record a conversation without informing the other person that you're doing it. Putting a call on speaker-phone is the same.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

Where I live it's illegal to record a conversation without informing the other person that you're doing it. Putting a call on speaker-phone is the same.

That's true lots of places. (I don't even know the law on it where I'm living now.)

I went through a period when I worked in Ecuador when I did actually record all my calls. (Long story, but I was involved in a LOT of legal wrangles, and quite a few threats.) The thing that really intrigued me is that when I started to answer the phone: "This is _______, this call is being recorded for security purposes" callers were a LOT more polite, reasonable, and pleasant.

Where I am now, I don't even have the equipment to record calls, but I'm thinking a lot of tele-scammers will hang up the minute I say I do! :D

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I have no way to record phone conversations, but just telling them that you can and do seems to work with them.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote