Clear all

Fake Books

22 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@bob-squires)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Looking for information from players who use or have used Guitar Fake Books.

Do you use them :?:

Did you find them usefull :?:

Does anyone recommend them :?:

Thank you :!:

B.S. :)

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I've made my own and I use it all the time. I print out a couple of copies for jams and give them away.

ReplyQuote
(@bob-squires)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Nick,

Oh :!: I never thought of compiling my own - I was looking at the commercially published books.

The ones that you put together are they standard notations or tabs or a combination?

Do they separate lead/bass guitar parts?

B.S.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Yes, yes, and yes.

If you ever do a gig with a group playing standards, the leader will often tell you what fake books to bring. That way everyone plays from the same score (I've even had leaders tell me what edition of the Real Book they'll be using!)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@bob-squires)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Nick & NoteBoat.

It appears a primary use of the book is to be sure each member of a group is reading from the same page (so to speak).

I understand jamming is an excellent way to learn, I have yet to find other guitarist to jam with so I am thinking of using the fake books as a resource to learn songs from - could put the bass part in GuitarPro and play along as Lead or vice versa.

Anyone else try this? Does it help?

B.S.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I have a bunch and wouldn't be without them. They're great for lessons too.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Thanks Nick & NoteBoat.

It appears a primary use of the book is to be sure each member of a group is reading from the same page (so to speak).

I understand jamming is an excellent way to learn, I have yet to find other guitarist to jam with so I am thinking of using the fake books as a resource to learn songs from - could put the bass part in GuitarPro and play along as Lead or vice versa.

Anyone else try this? Does it help?

B.S.

I bought a cowboy song fake book. I love it. I bring it when I meet up with my buddies and we have a ball.
I like it also because it help me to relearn sight reading. and, I finally learned the darn lyrics to songs I could never quite make out.

once on the road me and a guitar buddy were snowed in. we found a motel and spent he evening paging thru the book and playing. hours went by. great fun.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

No standard notation, mostly chords, but I do tab out intros or fingerpicked songs

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Another big set of 'yes' responses here.

As a jazz guy, they're simply essential parts of the kit. Not having a good set of fake books is sort of like not having a music stand or spare strings . . . it's just something you need to have.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@kblake)
Reputable Member

ummmmm, scuse my ignorance :oops:
By what definition is a "fake book" :?:

Keith

I know a little bit about a lot of things, but not a lot about anything...
Looking for people to jam with in Sydney Oz.......

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

A fake book has a single line of standard notation showing you the melody of a song, with the chord symbols over it - they're also called "head charts".

That lets musicians who don't know a tune to fake it - they're playing the original melody and harmony, even if it's not exactly the way it was done on the original version.

When you get a bunch of experienced musicians together who can all read music, and they all have the same fake book, you get a decent performance - maybe not as polished as if it had been rehearsed, but certainly nothing people complain about.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I always heard them called lead sheets.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

"Lead Sheet" is another name for the same thing.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Another stupid question from a beginner, who is the melody line for, the vocalist?

If you were in situation where it was just drums, bass and two guitars would the lead guitar play the melody line or would the rhythm guitar play the chords and the lead guitar improvise a solo/riffs based on the melody line or based on the key of the song?

If the song were an instrumental would there still be a melody line? I would think yes but?

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

If the song were an instrumental would there still be a melody line? I would think yes but?

Yes - imagine how boring an insturmental would be if it was just a coupla guys comping some chords.

Check out anything by The Shadows or Joe Satriani

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2