Favored Strats?

13 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey ladies and gents,

This could just be a case of G.A.S or a genuine desire for improvement, but I have been heavily considering some kind of American series Fender Strat for my next guitar (I currently have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard). It's a great guitar, but it feels...lacking.

I was definitely considering the used Strat-egory, when I found out that Fender offered from '97-2000 the Roadhouse Strat, which, lo and behold, is one of the few with a standard pickguard that actually looks good with the guitar!

Considering the pickups on Fender models, which type should I consider if I play a mix of light rock, blues, modern rock, classical, classic rock, and metal? (...hmm, that seems an awful lot like everything that the Strat's been famous for in its lifetime...) Is the Roadhouse Strat a good option for the money, or should I really consider a regular American Series and get an aftermarket pickguard?

-Rodya

Henry Garza, Saul Hudson, and Darrell Abbott could not be here tonight, but they all had sex and are proud to announce the birth of their two-headed baby, Rodya S. Thompson.

- Paraphrased from the Tenacious D series

sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

Depends on how much you'd like to spend. I've seen some decent looking Roadhouse strats around the $500. The Texas special pickups are pretty decent. If you want to also play metal, you may want to look at a Fat strat which comes with a hmbucker in the bridge. Mine is a Fat strat which also has Texas Special pickups in the middle and neck. I love it, but that's me. I still use my ESP for heavier tracks.

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, the look appealed to me, the fact that they have the Texas Specials appealed to me, and the price was also appealing. But, I have a good amount saved up, and I'd think anything up to the price of a brand-new Fender strat is game. (So, we're working with a $500-1,100 range here)

Well, the stuff I put in that Metal category is Metallica, Pantera, Ozzy with Randy, Dokken, etc. I could definitely get a sound like that out of a Strat, but I was wondering if anything with Texas Specials would be versatile enough to get a quality sound with my tastes in music.

I will definitely consider the humbucker - single - single option, however. Thanks!

Henry Garza, Saul Hudson, and Darrell Abbott could not be here tonight, but they all had sex and are proud to announce the birth of their two-headed baby, Rodya S. Thompson.

- Paraphrased from the Tenacious D series

ReplyQuote
(@danrobertson)
Eminent Member

http://www.guitarstrings.co.uk/search_details.asp?ID=671

Thats the strat I have, its pretty sweet. I like the look of it but I don't know if Red is for you :-) but I like it. Nice and comfortable and can get a fair amount of different sounds out of it. I only have a problem with my amp (which you also have, lol).

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Highway one strats (american-made with a different finish) are 600 bucks new, but they come in limited colors. IMHO, they play just like a regular american strat for 300 bucks less. here: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/511251/ . And here: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/511010/ . Happy buying

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

That dull finish on the Highway 1 Strats will shine up with polishing compound to a lovely soft sheen. Don't rub too hard and wear through it.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@nathan1709)
Trusted Member

I actually quite fancy a HSS strat. I've also got a les paul (epiphone), i have aspired to have one since i've been playing, but since getting it I still spend more time playing my HSS japstrat!

"This is a public service announcement.....with guitars"

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

That dull finish on the Highway 1 Strats will shine up with polishing compound to a lovely soft sheen. Don't rub too hard and wear through it.

You have a name for that compound Ric? I have a blue Highway 1 on order due in march. Not sure I want it to shine yet, but it's always nice to have options. :D

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Meguiar's has a big line of products: http://superiorcarcare.net/megprod.html I'm pretty certain that what Billy used was Meguiar's Hand Polish.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I guess that was a little cryptic about "what Billy used." I bought my son a dark red Highway 1 Strat for Christmas. Billy Crawford, a friend of mine who spent several years on the road playing blues with Deborah Coleman and is now back in town working in the music store since his son was born, customized this one a bit. He polished up that flat finish to the lovely soft sheen I mentioned, and replaced the white pickguard with an "aged plastic" one from the Fender Custom Shop. It's supposed to be faded from the Mint Green that was offered on '62 Strats. (Don't know how they "age" plastic, maybe by ultraviolet exposure?) Its color is sort of cream with a hint of green, and it really looks terrific on the Crimson Red body. Made for a nice "vintage" sort of appearance without any of the fake scraping, dinging and corrosion applied to the "relics." (And it was considerably less expensive than the fancier American Strats, along with having a real custom touch.)

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

Cool, thanks Ric.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@rob-l)
Trusted Member

I have that same Crimson Red Highway 1. I'm not crazy about the white pickguard. I was thinking of changing it to black. That mint green sounds pretty cool, would give it a unique look. I'll look to see if any of the shops around here have one. The picture on the Fender site is kind of small plus they're out of stock.

Well I got this guitar and I'm tryin' to learn how to make it talk.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Sure does look good "in person."

ReplyQuote