Figuring out a song

12 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@billybenbob)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi Gang,
I've never been able to figure out how to play a song that I heard. I've always had to go online and hope that someone has already put the chords out there for me.
How does one get started doing this.
The song I'd like to work on right now is "Man of God" off Neil Diamond's "12 Songs" CD
Thanks

I wanted to learn to play guitar really badly and I think that I have succeeded.

(@terminator)
Reputable Member

I guess you just try. Then over time you'll find your wanted chords. Over the years, you'll be able to work out more complicated tunes, which are longer. But, it really does take years to perfect. I'm definately there yet.

Thanks, and HAPPY NEW YEAR from Leo!!!

"No pain No gain!"- The Scorpions

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

This (truly old) column might give you a place to start:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=7

The next two columns after this one continue along the same subject lines:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=8

https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=9

I'm working on an expanded ear training piece (or pieces) that will hopefully be online before the next month finishes.

Hope this helps and Happy New Year.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@andrewlubinus89)
Estimable Member

I'd say pretty much what terminator said. You just have to try note after note (or chord after chord) until you get the right one. You can make it more complicated (like learning what chords might be in the key and figuring out what key it is in) but that is definately the way to start. Ear training helps too.

A hoopy frood knows where his towel is....

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

As a general guideline - start with getting the bass note worked out. Then try and work some of the melody over the top. Once you've got that far, there are only so many options that you've got for chords.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@modestcargo)
Eminent Member

I put the song on, and then play an open E, then keep sliding that up (barring it) until I hit the key of the song. From there with my (small) knowledge of chord progressions and my ear I figure out the chords. Then the lead of course.

Epiphone Black Beauty Les Paul 3-pickup (Hawk)
Marshall DSL401 run on clean channel

ReplyQuote
(@nolongerme)
Honorable Member

As a general guideline - start with getting the bass note worked out. Then try and work some of the melody over the top. Once you've got that far, there are only so many options that you've got for chords.

Best,

how do you do that?

just recently I have stumbled on some songs, but it was purely accident :? :?

ReplyQuote
(@fiskep)
Trusted Member

A teacher of mine had me sing everything first. His advise was if you can sing / hum it then you really know that part. Once you really know it it was much easier to figure out note by note (for the bass line for example). It's not pretty having to listen to me sing my guitar parts but it does help. Also studying intervals has helped tremendously.

ReplyQuote
(@nolongerme)
Honorable Member

Thnaks, I'll give that a try...La...La...la :)

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I put the song on, and then play an open E, then keep sliding that up (barring it) until I hit the key of the song

The perfect way to get the bass note!

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

+1 to the singing thing too. I've found that with melodies, if I can sing every note distinctly, finding it on the guitar will be a snap. If I can't find some of the notes, then nothing on the guitar will sound right.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

If there is one natural talent I do have, it is that I have always been very good at figuring out songs very quickly by just listening to them.

Alan has the secret. Follow the bass.

Bass players are famous for mostly playing the Root note and 5th of a chord. So, just by copying the bass, you will have a pretty good idea what the chord progression is.

Some other tricks:

1) Usually (but not always) the first chord is the key the song is in.

2) Once you figure the key out, most songs will have the major chords and or the relative minor chords.

For instance, in the key of G, the Major chords are G (root), C (the 4th), and D (the 5th). The relative Minor chords in G are E minor, A minor, and B minor or B7.

So, if you know a song is in G, then try C, D, Em, Am, Bm or B7 by ear. Again, follow the bass. In probably 90% of songs, these chords will cover any chords used in the song. There are exceptions. But generally, this is a very good rule to use to figure out most songs.

The bass. Follow the bass. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote