Notifications
Clear all

Finally Got a Mexican Stratocaster.Help me Disect it!-upgdes

23 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Just a thought: Had your hearing checked lately? Lots of guitar players and music lovers lose high frequency hearing from loud sound exposure. If your hearing's halfway decent, you often hear live and recorded music that's mixed with too much piercing treble, because the players and sound guys can't hear it and keep cranking it up higher.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

Good point Ricochet. I know I have hearing loss, I get tested for it at the job, worse every year.

With me high pitched screaching causes me pain. One of the reasons I rarely will go to see a band that is indoors. Some have those amps cranked so high it pisses me off. I have walked out of indoor concerts/gigs because it is so unbearable at times.

I don't know if it is a deaf soundman, one band can be good and the next can be much louder and both playing the same kind of music.

But this is off the topic anyway.

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

that's why country and R & b and soul music is the best one.The one ultimatly we seek to have some peace and untie and loose ourselves :)

(isn't cliff richard just great 8) )

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

JetSolo

What would probably help you the most to get the tone you are after without spending a lot of money is simply pick up an EQ pedal. You will be surprised how effective these are at shaping tone.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@shibby)
Estimable Member

The next place I'd spend my money is having a quality luthier properly dress your frets. No strat, except the pro-shop models, comes with properly dressed frets, it's just too expensive to do

I have never heard anyone suggest this. Can you explain what exactly is done, and the benefits?

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@shibby)
Estimable Member

The next place I'd spend my money is having a quality luthier properly dress your frets. No strat, except the pro-shop models, comes with properly dressed frets, it's just too expensive to do

I have never heard anyone suggest this. Can you explain what exactly is done, and the benefits?

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Sorry, can't read - dumb post cancelled :oops: :oops:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Fret dressing is simply making sure your frets are at a proper, uniform heigh and curve to fit the size strings you are using and the style of music you are playing.

The luthier will set the height of the frets, crown the frets, and polish them. The result will be a faster, cleaner neck.

Many fret buzz issues that are "solved" with setup are really fret issues. Having properly dressed frets will allow you to have a much better setup done.

Crown will effect tone and intonation considerably.

A manual fret dressing from a good luthier will run between $100-$200 depending on the market. It's something that every guitar needs to have done from time to time. It's just basic maintenance for the instrument. Fret crowns wear down, it's just a fact.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2