Clear all

Finger Exercises

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I know a few finger exercises, but I am getting bored of doing the same four exercises constantly.

Does anyone have any exercises that build finger strength, speed, accuracy, flexibility, and control that they would like to share?

Thanks!

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

(@azertyuiop201)
Trusted Member

my teacher gave me this one as a warming up excercise:

1-2-3-4,2-3-4-1,3-4-1-2,4-1-2-3

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

This one comes from my old Metal Method lessons, which I got back in 1982! I still use this one, just about everyday - keeps the fingers really fast.

On the first string: 02132432 03243543 04354654, etc. all the way up the neck and back down. Then do it on all six strings. USE A METRONOME!!!

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have been really focusing on getting my pinky finger stronger, more accurate, and more active. Anyone know any good exercises the focus on the pinky?

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

One that I've been working with lately:

Play the 12th fret with your pinky, 11th-ring, 10th-middle, and 9th on your index finger, then shift positions to play the 8th on your pinky, and continue the pattern to the top of the fretboard (7th-R, 6th-M, 5th-I...), and back down (I=1st, M=2nd, R=3rd, P=4th, I=5th...) to the 12th then move up a string and repeat (for all 6 strings).

Do it with alternate picking, and use a metronome or drum machine to keep your time even.

I find the position jumps going up the neck give my pinky a pretty good workout.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

That's funny, that is the exact exercise that I have been doing lately that I mentioned in the above post, starting at the same fret and everything.

- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote