Finger fracture

25 Posts
24 Users
0 Likes
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Caution, not for the squeamish...

I fractured my right hand pinky Saturday. Apparently a falling 10 foot long 6"X6" vs. top knuckle of pinky finger results in the 6"X6" winning every time. I've decided to accept this conventional wisdom and not test the theory any further. If you want to try this for yourself, you don't really need the wood. Just get yourself a hammer, put your pinky out on a flat but unforgiving surface and hit it. Hard.

I've also decided to work on finger picking without anchoring the pinky on the top. The excruciating mind numbing pain works well to remind me not to anchor.

Oddly enough the first thing that went through my mind as I removed my thankfully intact hand from under the huge hunk of wood was, "Do I ever really use this one?" It's really weird to see your finger change colors in seconds.

Once the swelling goes down I should be able to play.

Could've been worse. No, I take that back. Marathon man dental scene would be a fair trade for the pain I think.

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

that sucks. i cut throught the tendon on the tip of my right pinky. it was repaired, but i don't have any movement in it. i used to use it for fingerpicking occasionally. i still can, but it's kind of awkward.

a lot of people say you should float, instead of anchoring the pinky. i still can't get the hang of floating when i'm fingerpicking.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Nick, have you met, Vic?

Very sorry to hear about your injury. Good luck on getting well very soon! :)

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@fluid)
Trusted Member

A few years back my father dislocated his pinky so badly that the bone burst through the skin... it was pretty impressive. Glad to hear you have a good way to train yourself not to pinky post though!

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Yowie! :shock:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Ow!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

*winces*

Hope it rights itself soon, Nick.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Ouch! :shock: Sorry to hear of your accident Nick. Hope you get better real soon.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Hope it gets better quickly!

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@handelfan)
Eminent Member

Well, thank goodness it wasnt on your fret hand! I had a sprained thumb on there once.....not fun. Perhaps you can brush up on your English tea-drinking while it heals.

I am where my mind put me.

ReplyQuote
(@drewsdad)
Estimable Member

My stomach knotted up just thinking about it, had far too many previous encounters like that.
All the best, hope you have a speedy recovery!

Life's journey can be hard at times, but you have to realize that you are the only one with the power make it a worthwhile experience.

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

:shock:

Ouch!

My poor hands have to endure moving piano's these days. They're either feeling over stretched or cramped. That's not as bad as Nick's top knuckle vs. 10 foot long 6"X6" board or Vic's hand vs. plate glass window. OWWWWW!!!

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Could've been worse. No, I take that back. Marathon man dental scene would be a fair trade for the pain I think.

Good to see it's not stopping you. Hope it gets better soon.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@soundgarden)
Trusted Member

Ouch

Best of luck with the recovery

Drugs are a waste of time. They destroy your memory and your self-respect and everything that goes along with with your self esteem. Kurt Cobain
Have you seen the roses? There's a whole lot of colours. Syd Barret

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Ouch! That's some guitar neck, you're building, there, Nick - 10ft of 6x6! :lol: :lol:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2