Clear all

Finger Position...

12 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@audioboy)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I'm sure there is another post out there about this exact same thing, but I just now (like 30 seconds ago) got done watching a music video from The Strokes and the lead guitarist was doign a solo and the camera was fixed on his fingers while he was doing it. Speed isn't really what I am worried about, I'm sure that will come in time, but I am wanting to know who can give me advise on finger positions?

(@smokehouse)
Honorable Member

i was told use index finger for 1st fret, middle for 2nd, ring for 3rd, pinky for 4th and even when you move up the fretboard keep this pattern....well it works for me with no problems.......smokehouse

:WHO INVENTED WORK SHOULD COME BACK AND FINISH THE JOB OFF: http://www.soundclick.com/bartin

ReplyQuote
(@raina)
Eminent Member

Yes, I use my fingers the same way smokehouse explained it (mostly). Sometimes I only use the first three fingers (bad habit, i think)

ReplyQuote
(@audioboy)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Oh, because I am basically teaching myself to play and when I first picked up a guitar, I would run my index finger all around the fretboard when playing a song. Then I realized this can be right at all...

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, one finger can't be everywhere you need it at once. Got to get the others in action. :D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

Audioboy,

Before starting to play the solo, take a look at the individual notes you need to play. Try to put your fingers in position in such a way that you will cover most of the notes without moving your hand. A lot of solos are derived from known chord shapes which makes it easier to play fluently since your hand will not be moving all over the place. In other words, you might be able to find a finger position for each measure if you take the time to plan ahead and practice the solo that way.

Oktay

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i just do what's comfortable when i can, and what makes the sound when i can't. you have to make sure all your fingers are agile and strong enough to obey you, though.

ReplyQuote
(@aroundtheclaxon)
Estimable Member

I use four for most of the neck but it becomes really uncomfortable after like 14 so then I only use 3

Head Arcitech at Vandelay Instudries

ReplyQuote
(@audioboy)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

So there is no "official" finger placement?

ReplyQuote
(@raina)
Eminent Member

no i think so.. there are just "guidelines" which should let you play the most efficient.

ReplyQuote
(@guitargeek-9)

a good way to make your fingers adapt to some more complex chord fingerings and getting them to move in awkward progressions, is rather simple, but it takes practice.
do you know what "chromatic" means? it means that all the notes are only a half-step apart from each other. in other words, it means that if all your fingers were on the same string, it would be on the 1st fret, 2nd fret, 3rd fret...etc. (for example)

now besides that point, take your first finger and place it on a G on the low E string. then your second finger on a C# on the A string, and then place your 3rd finger on the G on the D string, and finally your pinky on the C on the G string. if you look at that "chord" it looks like your fingers are going down diagnally, facing downwards. get used to the fingering of this chord (although rather simple) and commit it to memory. Then, reverse the entire chord so that your pinky is on the A on the E string...and your first finger should be more towards the floor. do this on different strings, while keeping a metronome going (start slow) pretty soon you have "smart fingers"

the whole process of this is keeping your muscle memory fresh, while updating it. But you have to commit to this process and practice it or else it will be useless.

Rock on.

ReplyQuote
(@audioboy)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

does anyone know any websites or anything else I could use for help?

ReplyQuote