Clear all

Fingernail biting

31 Posts
24 Users
0 Likes
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Ive posted about this before (long ago) but its still a problem. I never really tried anything you guys reccommended (im lazy). Anyways its getting bad. My fingernail biting is actually starting to cause pain to my fingers because I expose raw skin sometimes. My fretting pinky is killing me right now all because of me. Its a bad habit, very bad. That and cracking my knuckles are really making me play worse. I wish I had fingernails to play with and stuff. Im pissed off at myself. Anyone wanna offer any tips or suggestions or whatever? Thanks guys. Im just venting my anger at myself.

See yall around.

aka Izabella

(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Hmmmmm? :? SRV used to repair his fingers with crazy glue. Maybe you can get that stuff that they use for dogs that tastes real bad and put it on your fingers :?: (the stuff you put on furniture to keep your pet from chewing it up)- soak your pinky in warm salt water, that should help (I'm a nurse) LOL ---the dog

Wear Gloves!! :lol: :lol:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hey, since i really wanna grow my picking hand's nails out, I could wear just one glove. It could be white too because white rocks, and sparkles just because. Haha. :lol:

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@alasken)
Eminent Member

I remember way back when I was little, a friend of mine used to bite his nails...his dad then went out and bought some liquid thing that he put on his nails to stop the habit......the liquid tasted really really bad.... :)

ReplyQuote
(@vempyre)
Trusted Member

i can't guarantee this, as i'm not really a nail-biter, but you could try painting your nails. one learns pretty quickly not to bite them after that.

you probably won't really want to colour them. in this case you can buy clear stuff that's like a varnish.. the only visible change here will be that they're a little shinier. if you do go for this, it might be helpful to put a coat on the nails of your picking hand too, as it helps to strengthen them (particularly if they're being struck often...).

oh, and as for the knuckle-cracking, it's a good idea to try and stop.. i know it's difficult, but too much of that can lead to arthiritis and all sorts of unpleasant things later... this might sound stupid .. but if the temptation to crack your knuckles is just too great, "cut down" in the same way one might coming off a drug or something ..i.e., thrice a day for a while, twice for a week or so, once for a few weeks... eventually you might just forget about it. :?

ReplyQuote
(@malcster)

I remember that liquid stuff. my mum used to have that. me and ny brother woud paint our nails and see who could chew them the longest.

"its better to burn out than it is to rust"

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

It was called "Nil-Bite" as I remember

Didn't work for me.

Nails with a bit of salt and pepper are delicious.

ReplyQuote
(@death_to_theory)
Trusted Member

try chewing gum instead of ur finger nails

ReplyQuote
 Narn
(@narn)
Estimable Member

Scratch your bum a lot. That'll cure the nail biting.

"You want WHAT on the *&%#ing ceiling?" - Michelangelo, 1566

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Nick was on the right track :lol: only i would save all the fingernail pieces, boil them down and add some sugar and fruit to make a gelatin. my grandmother has got a killer recipe :lol: :lol: :twisted:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@scrogdog)
Estimable Member

I was a very bad nail biter when I was young. Then something happened that cured me of the problem. Quickly.

Anyone who has or has had this habit knows that hangnails and damaged cuticles are the order of the day. Well, one of my cuticles got infected. I ignored it for a time, but then my whole finger blew up and started turning color. The pressure pain was incredible, so I finally broke down and went to the hospital.

The doctor there was quite nice. He explained that all he needed to do was to make an incision the long way down my finger and drain off all the stuff. The very moment that knife started the work, the pressure was relieved to my own great relief. He gave me some pain pills which I didn't need, the draining had done the job as far as pain relief was concerned. He told me to go see my personal physician in about a week just to make sure all was ok.

So here I am a week later walking in to my doctors office for what I think is going to be a routine check. Heh. He takes one look at the thing and just shook his head. “What's the matter?”, I asked. He says, “the ER doctor should have known straight off that your fingernail had to come off.”

“Off?” <Gulp>

“Yes, off.”

“So, what does this mean, put me in the hospital and knock me out?”

<chuckle> “Don't be silly. We are going to take care of this right now! I'll use a local… you'll be fine.”

Hey, I'm no tough guy and I don't enjoy pain. :) I started to get that feeling… you know… in the pit of your stomach. Something dreadful was about to happen.

Words cannot adequately describe what happened next. My finger was still quite tender and sore despite not needing the pain pills I had been given. The doctor said he'd administer as much Novocain as I wanted. Just say when I was ready. Well, I was freely whapping it against the table and feeling no pain at all. I figured I was ready.

It took three nurses holding me down. I could feel the doctor cutting it in half, wedging something that seem like garden hedge trimmers under there and yanking both halves out. Yanking. And myself struggling and with my back arched swearing and cussing. It wasn't pretty. :) Probably pretty embarrassing if it had been filmed. Lol.

In any case, to this day that is the worst pain I have ever felt in my life.

I have not bitten my fingernails now in over 25 years.

Izzy, please stop now. Before we have to yank out your nails, dude.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

okay, well you made me stop.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Izzy, please stop now. Before we have to yank out your nails, dude.
Hey Izzy, if you have to rip those nails out let me know. I learned how to do it in the Army :twisted: :lol:

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Sounds like Narn has the best solution.
:lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@joe-momma)
Trusted Member

Scratch your bum a lot. That'll cure the nail biting.

lol great shout Narn, if not a little sick.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3