Clear all

Fingernail care question...

18 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@andrewlubinus89)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'm thinking about growing out the nails on my right hand but don't want them to get ripped to shreds on the steel strings....any tips?

Thanks,

A hoopy frood knows where his towel is....

(@alangreen)

The short answer (literally) is not to grow them too long - anything more than a couple of mm beyond the end of your finger and you've overdone it.

I've seen flamenco players with nails 7 or 8mm out from their fingertips, and they were always struggling with anything that wasn't straight rasqueado.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

When you file them, don't use one of the cheapie 'crosscut' files. Get one of the better 'encrusted' type files; the ones that look like they're finished with metallic sandpaper almost. My teacher told me a long time ago that the crosscut type tends to shred the nails.

Then, get some 320 open coat sandpaper, the stuff that's white looking, almost like powder, and polish out the edges of the nails. This is the sort of sandpaper they use (I think) for wet polishing auto finishes and it gives the edge of the nails an almost glass-like finish.

As far as the length, it's exactl as Alan already mentioned; when you hold your hand up to your face - palm inward and fingers straight up - you should barely be able to see the nails over the tips of your fingers.

Sometimes when I play I keep a little square of that sandpaper in my pocket in case I get a nick in the edge of a nail. Seems like if you continue to play with the nick or rough spot, the strings, sliding over the smooth parts and rubbing on the nick, will just make the nick deeper and deeper. Almost like a spot of metal with no oil getting more friction than the surrounding areas.

I learned this for classical guitar, but it works great on 12-string (which I mostly play now), which is like playing against 6 sets of little files.

Hope this helps.

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

Hi,

I am blessed with very hard nails and because of that I can get away with not trimming them as often as I should. You will know shortly after growing your nails how hard they are - if you have soft nails there are products you can put on them to make them harder, although it will look like you are wearing nail polish.

A friend of mine, who has been playing for many years as a classical guitarst told me that tapping your nails will make them stronger. I don't know if it is true but he is a very straight ahead guy so I tend to believe him.

Good luck

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I'll add my own thoughts here, having seriously gotten back into classical over the past six months or so...

I keep my nails about 1/8" beyond my fingertips - but I also 'angle' the nails. That is, the point of the nail that's farthest from my fingertip is towards the outside of my hand (since I'm right handed, that means it's off center to the left on my thumb, and to the right on my index, middle, and ring)

I find a few big advantages to that, and one strange disadvantage...

Because the majority of the work I do is on electric or acoustic, having the nail off center allows me to retain techniques like tapping. Hybrid picking works out great, as the hand position is a little different from classical, and I can get the nail in the attack, pretty much matching the pick tone. And adjusting the angle of my hand slightly also lets me get a softer tone when I want it while playing fingerstyle.

The disadvantage is a really weird one... when you go to the john (the loo for you Brits) and zip up when you're done - if you're not careful, you'll put the point of the nail right against your zipper and shred it. Funny, I know... but after having to clip the index several times for zipper damage, I'm a heck of a lot more... self-aware :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@andrewlubinus89)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

awesome..thanks for the advice...

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I asked a question about nailcare on "The Other Side" a while back... Elecktrablue recommended using hoof cream - used on horse's hooves to stop them cracking!!!!!

Unfortunately there's nowhere within easy travelling distance where I can find any....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@david-m1)
Estimable Member

I like to keep the nails on my right hand grown out for fingerpicking, one thing I do, or dont do that seems to help is I only file the nails on my right hand I never use a clipper.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Why don't u use a pick?If you are not playing a classical guitar , reconsider.Playing with pick is easy , loud and fun.Forget all the nail jazz :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

...The disadvantage is a really weird one... when you go to the john (the loo for you Brits) and zip up when you're done - if you're not careful, you'll put the point of the nail right against your zipper and shred it. Funny, I know... but after having to clip the index several times for zipper damage, I'm a heck of a lot more... self-aware :)...

Oh, add to that opening softdrink containers! That's a big one. And, always allow your nails a good amount of time to dry after showering or washing hands because they get soft and easy to damage. I've heard stories of concertizing classical guitarists who wear waterproof gloves while bathing, who always open doors with their 'other' hand (and 'zipping up'), and on and on. It become like this whole sub-hobby to them, but without going to such extremes, a lot can be done to protect the nails and keep them shaped and smooth for playing.

Then I've heard stories of the lute-guys - 'with nails or without' in trying to achieve the definitive 'traditional' tone. Arguments this way and that. It's kinda funny until you think that lots of us spend loads of time worrying about string brands, types, gauges, tube types, speakers, effects brands, types, signal chains, this pickup or that, pick thicknesses, shapes, holding techniques, cross-picking, alternate, economy, sweep picking and...well, classical guitarists have it easy when you look at it that way, lol.

ReplyQuote
(@m07zm4n)
Estimable Member

We (speaking for all e-guitar palyers) are lost in electrical madness! :shock:

I often thought of starting accoustic but never had the balls to do so...

NO MORE THEORY!!
um...
KNOW MORE THEORY!!!!

<------>
motz
<------>

ReplyQuote
(@andrewlubinus89)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Why not use a pick? Well....I wanted to expand and do some more fingerstyle stuff. I'm pretty profficient with a pick and wanted to keep myself challenged (plus hybrid picking doesn't work so well with what I'm doing, one note really loud and the other quiet). It's fun learning new techniques and I don't do classical right now but I would love to (if I ever can afford a new guitar)

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

Why don't u use a pick?If you are not playing a classical guitar , reconsider.Playing with pick is easy , loud and fun.Forget all the nail jazz

The better question is, why not learn to finger pick? I myself recommend starting finger picking than going to a pick if you want to. Easier to go from fingers to a pick then vice-versa. just my two cents.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@thedude)
Trusted Member

You have received some great advice. I finger pick most of the things that I play on my acoustic. I have never (and probably will never) grown my nails long. I do not like the way it looks or feels. I do not think it is "girly" for a man to have long fingernails; I have long hair! :wink:

I use the tips of my fingers (my nails catch the strings sometimes) to pluck the strings. I never had a problem. It works fine for me. I do not believe I would do well with longer fingernails. My main hobby is old cars, especially this one:

I get so dirty fooling around with this 40 year old hunk of metal. My fingernails are usually dirty and beat up. They would not stand a chance if they were any longer.

http://pic6.picturetrail.com/VOL174/2016453/3903966/98827354.jpg

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

It's kinda funny until you think that lots of us spend loads of time worrying about string brands, types, gauges, tube types, speakers, effects brands, types, signal chains, this pickup or that, pick thicknesses, shapes, holding techniques, cross-picking, alternate, economy, sweep picking and...well, classical guitarists have it easy when you look at it that way, lol.

Yeah, right -

We have to worry about getting the right mikes, positioning them in the right place, getting the sound into and out of an amp without it making us sound like Corey Taylor with a sore throat, getting the orchestra to turn up on time....

...and we get a completely different class of groupie.

So much to worry about...so little time.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2