Clear all

Fingerpicking patterns

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@dave-t)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I'm starting to learn some fingerpicking to include with my strumming and alternating bass strum repertoire. I play acoustic and I'm playing just about anything except jazz or classical pieces.

So far I have the “T I M R M I” in ¾ time and “T I M R” in 4/4 time. I think I will stick to pattern picking for now.

What would be a couple of other versatile patterns to add to the repertoire?

Thanks folks.

(@steeder)

Dave,

I'm a long-time lurker, first-time poster here on GN, but thought I'd chime in anyway :-)

I've been playing acoustic guitar since last June (my guitar was my Father's Day present) and learning fingerpicking patterns has been extremely fun for me. Most of my learning has been through website lessons like those found on GN and a few good books/DVDs (although, I have a number of friends who are excellent guitar players and they have been kind enough to help me, too). One of the books I've found most helpful for fingerpicking is The Art of Contemporary Travis Picking: How to Play the Alternating Bass Fingerpicking Style (Bk & CD) by Mark Hanson. He walks you through 4 basic patterns and then expands on them. It also comes with a CD so you can hear how the patterns are supposed to sound (which also helped me a lot).

Steed

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

I'm a long-time lurker, first-time poster here on GN, but thought I'd chime in anyway :-)
Hi, Steed. See what you missed by not posting before this? :lol:
Seriously, thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to look into that, too.

--
Doug C.

ReplyQuote
(@blind_lemon_pye)
Trusted Member

I second Steeder on this book, which is really helpfull for the beginning fingerpicker.

If I'm not in the band
Don't mean I'm square
Mercury Rev - Car Wash Air

ReplyQuote