Clear all

First Acoustic

10 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@templeton)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi, basically i've been playing electric guitar for nearly a year now and fancied getting an acoustic to go with it.
The problem i'm having is that because i'm left-handed when I go to the shops to try them there's usually only a couple in stock, and these are usually lower priced £200 or less.So I haven't had chance to test many out and it looks as if i'll have to decide on a model and ask a shop to order me it in.
So know i'm not sure how much I should pay for one, as I already have a good electric setup and the acoustic will be used when I fancy a change.
I have been looking at the Tanglewood TW28-STR which will set me back about £180 and it seem to have a good spec, does anyone own or have an opinion on these?
So if anyone have an opinion on how much I should spend on a first acoustic considering it will used when i fancy a change of pace, or if anyone can recommend a gem of a guitar it will be much appreciated.
Please bear in mind that it has to be left-handed and available in the UK.

Cheers

(@templeton)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

So i've done some more research and have read some great things about the Simon & Patrick S6 though i'm confused about one thing and was hoping somebody could help me with it.
I have seen it is available with a choice of three tops them being Spruce,Mahogany Spruce and Cedar.Now I was always under the impression that cedar was the best and spruce was a substitute used in lower end guitars but they all cost the same and from what i've read in reviews it seems like personal preference.
If anyone can shed some light on this it will be appreciated also any thought on the S & P S6 in general.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Well my friend, you were under the wrong impression! Spruce is actually used in some of the world most expensive guitars such as the Martin D100 Deluxe, retailing at a whopping $80,000 :shock: . http://www.music123.com/Martin-D100-Deluxe-i131005.music

Now, spruce and cedar are different though. Cedar gives more of a mellow, soft sound (mainly used in classical music, etc. etc.) while spruce gives more of a commanding sound. It would work, but I don't think AC/DC on a cedar topped guitar would sound the absolute best.
Now, about the guitar. Simon & Patrick is made in LaPatrie, Quebec, Canada along with other Godin guitars, such as Seagull and Norman guitars. I personally have a Seagull M6 (spruce top with mahongany back and sides) and it is exellent. Top notch quality and sound for minimum pricing. Thats what Godin is known for. I dont think you can go wrong with this one, but dont forget to play it first! Happy buying!
:)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

I am using a Tanglewood TW28-ST USA and like it lot.
Solid Spruce top and Mahagony side and bottom.
I have compared the sound of it with a "real" Martin D-28 and the difference was not significant, at least not as big as the price difference.
As Yoyo says, there are lot of other good guitars in the same price level.

If you normally play an electric guitar, this type of Dreadnought guitar with long (14 fret) and "narrow" neck would fit you best.
But you will find that it will be much tougher for your left hand fingers (with it´s heavier strings and higher action) than an electric.

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@templeton)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Cheers for the advice, unfortunately I don't think i'll be able to test them out first.Most shops i've been to only stock a couple of lefties,usually Fenders and shops over here will usually only order it in if i'm definately going to purchase it.
I think i'll go for the S&P S6 as I can afford the extra at the moment, from what you said it seems like i'll want the spruce top as i'll be playing modern music as opposed to classical but I noticed they do a spruce-mahogany top would this be a better choice?

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

Most acoustic guitars has solid spruce tops.
The better and more exclusive guitars has better types of spruce.
Next most common wood on tops are cedar.
You can read a lot about acoustic guitars here http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/OwnerManual/manssguitar.html

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

You know, there's nothing completly wrong with buying a right handed model and fliping the strings. Almost all famous left handers actually do that. Cobain of Nirvana, Jimi Hendrix, and other guys did it, and you can save a few bucks if you dontmind having the pickguard at the top. If there is a problem, forgive me, I'm right handed. 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@hughm)
Trusted Member

Investigate Seagull. They make very nice instruments that play and age well. And, thanks to the kind taxpayers of Canada, who fund all sorts of business grants and tax exemptions to the company, Seagull is very hard to beat on price.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

^I second the motion! :lol: Yeah, Seagull gets tax breaks and stuff because they use dead trees I think, thats what the salesguy at my store said at least. :?

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@pops22br)

One thing to consider if you are looking to buy a lefthanded guitar is that are guitar necks symmetrical? I believe that they are. This should be one of the important parts of how a guitar feels in your hands. Then again, maybe neck shapes are not all that varied, but check it out.

This means that you can just flip the righthanded version over and get a feel of how the neck feels. For sound get a salesman to play the guitar a little. I bought a Seagull M12 last summer and during the process I tried a lefthanded M6 to try to compare Seagull sounds. The opposite handed guitar is quite hard to play when you are not used to it (a la Jimi Hendrix). Also, as you know from strumming up on your electric, it sounds different from strumming down. The Godin-made guitars are great values, at whatever price range.

ReplyQuote