First open mic suggestions please

10 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@kblake)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey all,

Been having lessons for 12 months or so ( I am 48 years old) and my teacher has conned/ encouraging me into getting up at an open mic night , now I don't sing, I play rhythm so what I want is some songs that would be popular (or rather well known) simple (maybe 12 bar stuff) that you all could suggest..

They have a house band so I assume there knowledge of songs would be vast but I am after maybe some rockers where I could just play rhythm in the background and let them do what they do... lol

I like playing One After 909 ( Beatles not a 12 bar but I LOVE playing it)
Also like Creeque Alley (maybe not the right sort of song for the night)
Kansas City (a classic)

When I started lessons all I wanted was to just noodle around in the bed room but now after having been to this open mic night 6 or so times (just watching) I want to get up and play but I am scared, shy, embarressed & petrified, but not nessassarily in that order lol

Anyways over to you'all

Thanks
Keith

BTW any one in Sydney NSW Australia want to get together drop me an e-mail

Thanks Again........

I know a little bit about a lot of things, but not a lot about anything...
Looking for people to jam with in Sydney Oz.......

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

of course i vote for KC!, great easy song everybody knows. good luck and let us know how it goes.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@slipkid)
Eminent Member

Hello!!!
I think open mics are a great inducement to improve your playing and confidence. For the most part an open mic crowd is very supportive. They really want you to do well.

Song choice is key.
First... you need one that you really like and can play in your sleep by the time of the open mic. Practice until you are almost sick of it. You will need that confidence when it come time to stand up in front of the crowd.
Second...Pick a couple songs that you will entertain the crowd. Be brave. Pick something that has not been done to death. Surprise the crowd. One of my best nights was when I did "I'm a Believer"..."Daydream Believer"...and the "Theme from Spiderman" with a ukelele.

Don't let nerves get to you and make you wait to put your name on the list. Don't go first but don't wait till the end either. Try to be 3rd or 4th on the list. By then the sound levels are set and the crowd is warmed up. When you get down to the 8th or 10th on the list the crowd can become bored.

My partner and I started playing a once a month open mic night put on my a local music store. Our goal was to have 3 new songs ready every month. It was a lot of pressure but by the 10th month we had a great start for a real set list.

This "Folkin' Friday" night that the music store puts on has really helped us. Rather than being in the usual bar setting, this crowd is mostly other musicians with many different levels of talent. Some are beginners, some are pros. When you get up there they watch and listen v-e-r-y - c-l-o-s-e-l-y.

As a last piece of advise just keep in mind that if you are not having fun, the crowd is not having fun.

Do it....do it....do it...do it!!!!!

Ovation....
Belly up to the bowl boys!!!!

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Way to go Keith!

I think it is fantastic that you are getting out there.

I would say just to go with all the songs you know. Since you don't sing, I would also take along the lyrics. This way, someone else can sing the songs for you. At most open mics it is no problem finding someone who wants to sing.

If there is a house band, they probably already know many of your songs. So just ask if they could do some numbers with you.

And you can always do 12 bar Blues. Just jam. That is always fun.

As far as being scared, that is perfectly normal. But just remember, the idea is to have fun. Nobody is gonna shoot you if you hit the wrong chord.

Look at their girlfriend.... well, maybe then. :D

You said you have been there quite a few times, so you see what it's all about. Just get up there and don't worry.

You know, you will become addicted.

Please post back and tell us all about how it goes.

Remember..... HAVE FUN.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I attended my first open-mic a couple of weeks ago. From what I gathered, it's one guy that runs it and about a dozen regulars on different instruments.

I'm in the same boat as you are, but somewhat less skill. No way would I do it yet, but I plan on it and I'm working towards it. A buddy of mine and I are learning three common songs so that we can go up and do something like that.

Of course, he just reminded me of something yesterday. Neither of us can sing. LOL

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@wishiwasthebest)
Estimable Member

I attended my first open-mic a couple of weeks ago. From what I gathered, it's one guy that runs it and about a dozen regulars on different instruments.

I'm in the same boat as you are, but somewhat less skill. No way would I do it yet, but I plan on it and I'm working towards it. A buddy of mine and I are learning three common songs so that we can go up and do something like that.

Of course, he just reminded me of something yesterday. Neither of us can sing. LOL

ha, that could be a problem..... or maybe u just THINK u cant, but u really are the next freddie mercury perhaps??? :)

that sounds awsome keith, and besides, after the first one, things will be easy, and like what was said, you will become addicted..but atleast its healthy right???

keep it fun!

RIP Dimebag

ReplyQuote
(@gutfiddle)
Reputable Member

played my first open mic last night. on the way there i saw some people jamming at the "all that jazz cafe" around the corner from my apt and stopped in. really it was a bunch of hardcore blues players and im mostly country and classic rock but i dont know any better so i just jumped in:) they were all really cool and obviously way better than me but let me lead a few songs. we jammed to neil young down by the river for 15 mins and i started w/ america's sandman which medley'd into tom petty's last dance w/ mary jane and then to aint no sunshine, i learned so much playing w/ those guys it was a blast. this was all before the open mic i was on my way to. the lady that hosts the open mic has been giving me lessons and is an insanely phenomonal singer/rythm guitar player. well, i waited till some drunk woman butchered landslide and made my way up. belted out please come to boston and OD'd in Denver and even though there wasnt too many people there, being tuesday evening, got a pretty good applause. anyways, sorry for the ramblin but im real excited still and definitely hooked!

Thinkin' bout the times we had
Some were good and some were bad
guitar fightin' the tv
i was thinkin bout you and me

ReplyQuote
(@slipkid)
Eminent Member

Just a little sincere applause sure feels good.
It gives me a great incentive to improve.

Ovation....
Belly up to the bowl boys!!!!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Hey all,

Thanks Again........

Over to Chris_C :wink:

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Hey all,

Thanks Again........

Over to Chris_C :wink:
Chris lives on the other side of the island just outside of Perth. Either a very long drive or a 4 hour flight. :lol:

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote