Notifications
Clear all

Floating Hand Method?

24 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

Ever since i started to play guitar about a year ago. I tried anchoring my hand, it just felt wrong to me. I guess I use metaelli's method of bouncing around strings. It just needs some practice to get accurate and it works the best for me. However, I don't know if its just me but I have trouble playing fast picking parts because you constantly have to bounce to different strings quickly

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

I generally play better when my fingers are anchored to my hand.

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@psychonik)
Reputable Member

thats usually the case. unless you can play with your knuckles.. but dont thing that will increase the punch :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I used to anchor my pinkie when I was fingerpicking, but got myself out of the habit, for the most part. I find that I still occasionally NEED to anchor the pinkie if I'm playing something difficult and I need to be fast and exactly precise. Other than that, I float.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

For me anchoring always felt really restrictive. I couldn't move around and get to the strings as fast as floating. Even with playing fingerstyle, it always restricted my movement.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@audioslaveaddict)
Estimable Member

For the first year that I was playing I found myself anchoring quite a bit. But one day I realized that I was kind of holding myself back by always anchoring. Now I just do whatever feels natural. Although it did take awhile to adjust to not anchoring all the time.

Gun control is using both hands!!!

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I generally play better when my fingers are anchored to my hand.

ROFLMAO! :lol: I must have missed this the first time around! I totally agree with you, though! :lol:

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@elpelotero)
Estimable Member

damnit now i have to analyze how it is that i play. i know i dont anchor my pinky, hardly ever, but the side heel of my hand i think i do sometimes...not too sure. never noticed. when im doing metallish solos tho, i definately anchor the side of the palm to mute the upper strings from buzzing.

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

I really dont think it matters much. I dont care how I play. If I find that im not able to play something then ill find out why, if its that i am anchoring then ill trty and change that. until then i dont see no issue in it.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2