Clear all

For Those About To GAS - We Salute You!

13 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@dhutson)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Things were pretty busy at work yesterday so I had to grab a bite and eat at my desk. I thought I would peruse the Fender Forum for a change of pace. In one thread a guy was talking about a Guitar Center in North Carolina where he spotted a Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster for $460. Now these strats sell on Musician's Friend for $749.99. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Highway-One-Stratocaster?sku=512768 While several people around the country said their Guitar Centers weren't honoring those prices, another guy in Little Rock said his Guitar Center had the same deal.

Omaha doesn't have a Guitar Center, but there is one in Lincoln. So I called them up and asked to speak to the manager. I told him the Guitar Center in Little Rock was selling Highway 1 Strats for $460 and asked if he would honor that price. He asked specifically what I was looking for. I said a 3-tone sunburst with S-S-S configuration and he put me on hold for about 5 minutes. When he came back he told me he would sell it to me with the deluxe gig bag for $458.99 out the door (but I had to pick it up before end-of-business Friday).

Now normally Guitar Center has their guitars down where the kids can come in and abuse them so I was concerned it might have some cosmetic flaws. I drove to Lincoln after work last night. The only sunburst was hanging on the wall about 12 feet up. I don't think anyone had touched it since it had been put on the pegs. I played it and it was SWEET! I had them oil the fretboard and restring it with 10's. I am so STOKED!

http://www.soundclick.com/wayneroberts

(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

I'm going to sell my MIM Strat so I can purchase an American Standard or HW1. I think I may have to visit some Guitar Centers and see if they will give me that deal!
How do you like the neck? I'm not sure I'd like jumbo frets since I have a heavy touch. Someone posted this link a while back:
http://www.electric-guitar-review.com/2007/06/05/review-fender-highway-one-stratocaster-06-upgrade/

ReplyQuote
(@dhutson)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

How do you like the neck? I'm not sure I'd like jumbo frets since I have a heavy touch.

To tell you the truth, I'm too green as a player to notice a great deal of difference between jumbo, medium-jumbo, or vintage frets. On the other hand, I'll be willing to duel to the death over Burger King vs. McDonalds french fries or Diet Coke vs. Diet Pepsi :lol:

I hope you aren't thinking of trading your MIM Strat for an American Strat simply because it's American. In the background you'll see the blue Squier, purchased as part of a "Stat Pack" almost two years ago as my starter guitar. The neck is a dream because I had it dressed by a local luthier who is supposed to be one of the best in the area. A friend of mine bought a brand new Classic Series 60's Strat and promptly jerked the pickups. Itook them and, along with new pots, switches, and mint green pickguard, had them put in the Squier. It has great tone, especially through the Blues Jr. But I've been wanting a 3-tone sunburst for quite some time. I'm thinking both will get a lot of playing time.

ReplyQuote
(@musica23)
Reputable Member

Congrats on your new arrival, dhutson! :D

I've always read that the Highway 1's are phenomenal for their usual price. You got it for a song (no pun intended, really...)! Good for you!

As for the neck, I tried one out at a local shop not long ago and couldn't easily handle the jumbo frets. I didn't know this before, but I evidently have a heavy touch, too. I wasn't really in the market, anyway, but was curious about the Highway 1 (this was a Strat, too). It sounded great through the Hot Rod Deluxe I was using and I'm sure it sounds every bit as great through the Blues Jr. (which is what I currently use)!

Anyway, I'm very happy for you and for the excellent price you got! I always say it pays to shop online...but then I think it pays to shop everywhere all the time. :oops:

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Congrats on your new guitar! 8)

Hmm.... I just may have to take a trip to GC this weekend... :mrgreen:

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Wow. That sounds like on heck of a price. Congrats!

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Good job on that deal. Hope you enjoy it. I have played a Jimi Vaughan strat before that I really liked which is very similar to a Hwy1, I believe. I loved the neck and frets on that guitar, great feel.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Congrats on your deal! Also like your HRD & Mini Mass.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

congrats on the new guitar.
i didn't have any trouble with my strats med jumbos.
the neck is so easy to play that my usual acoustic death grip is not needed.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@rjnix_0329)
Trusted Member

Hmph, and I bought mine for 700!!! Oh well, it looks like the sister of mine! Or maybe brother...don't mean to insult your gender considerations. I love the Highway One strat...my favorite guitar by far. I changed my scratch plate to a black one, and it looks a lot like one of Stevie Vaughan's guitars. Enjoy your guitar! You got it for a good enough price.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Congrats on the great looking guitar and fantastic price! :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@clockworked)
Reputable Member

I was looking at these the other day, didn't have the opportunity to play it though, so I'll withhold judgment. I did want to ask you, though -- how do the hotter pick-ups sound? I love that old Fender Strat sound, and I'm not too sure about these new Alnico pickups. From what I read, it doesn't sound like the typical Fender.

Used to be, was a part of me felt like hiding.. but now it comes through. Comes through to you.

ReplyQuote
(@dhutson)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I did want to ask you, though -- how do the hotter pick-ups sound? I love that old Fender Strat sound, and I'm not too sure about these new Alnico pickups. From what I read, it doesn't sound like the typical Fender.

To tell you the truth, my ears aren't developed enough to detect subtle differences. And it would be a subtle difference in tone. The other strat you see in the picture has pickups from a Fender Classic Series 60's Strat. The Highway 1 is "hotter", but still plenty Fender and plenty strat.

Then again, it might not be the tone you are searching for. But I like the way it plays with my Blues Jr.

ReplyQuote