Clear all

Fret Buzz 11th fret

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@distortion5)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard. It plays great but I get fret buzz at the 11th fret - 1st string (from bottom). I tried raising the action but it doesnt help. I was just wondering why this occurs only on one fret. Any ways to fix this? Thanks a lot!

(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

Lay a straight edge across the 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th (or so) frets to check reletive fret height. It sounds like one of the frets, probably the 12th, is a little high, or one of the frets, probably the 11th is a little low.
If this is the case, you could have the frets dressed. First, you could try gently tapping a high fret right where it's buzzing, if that's what it is, to push it a bit further down into the fretboard. Sometimes they work a little loose. This has worked, at least temporarily, for me in the past.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Also, check the string itself. It could be dented upward over the 11th fret,
like this ^. Sometimes you bump a string by accident and dent it like this.

It could be also that your neck has too much relief and needs the truss rod adjusted.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 Kyle
(@kyle)
Reputable Member

WEIRD! I have an ibanez GSA60 and it plays great except if i try to bend 1st string 11th fret it doesnt work, the string just hits the fret and stops vibrating. Must be a common bane of budget guitars.

The meaning of life? I've never heard a simpler question! Music.

ReplyQuote
(@call_me_kido)
Estimable Member

You get what you pay for....

(Runs off) :shock:

Kido

ReplyQuote