Clear all

GAS.....

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@preacher)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Oh my. I was at GC Sunday, picking up a few packs of strings, when my eyes fell upon a black Gretsch Electromatic. (a single cutaway model)... I simple had to pick it up and play a little. OH MY GOODNESS!!! Its one of the smoothest guitars Ive played in my life. Besides my grandfathers ole Viking (which I believe is also a Gretsch). But now I have an affinity for the massive, beautifull hollowbody. Are there any others that are enraptured with this instrument? And can I get a bit of history on the company? (my friend google has failed me for the first time in ages). Thanks yall!
-Preacher

I play the guitar, I taught myself how to play the guitar, which was a bad decision... because I didn't know how to play it, so I was a sh***y teacher. I would never have went to me. -Mitch Hedberg

(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

At least you didn't start drooling over the $7,000 Chet Atkins model. :D

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Gretsch history

Also, and interesting article about one guy's history with his Gretsch guitars.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@guitarhero)

haha..yea sometimes it's good not too have such expensive eyes

ReplyQuote
(@preacher)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Trust me I was drooling plenty over a Country Gentleman.... I just have realistic ideas. :lol:
Gretsch history

Also, and interesting article about one guy's history with his Gretsch guitars.
And thank you kindly!

-Preacher

I play the guitar, I taught myself how to play the guitar, which was a bad decision... because I didn't know how to play it, so I was a sh***y teacher. I would never have went to me. -Mitch Hedberg

ReplyQuote
(@mmoncur)
Estimable Member

I have one of those. Same color and everything. It's a great guitar. I haven't played it much lately because I have newer toys, but I need to get it out and play again. Although it's an electric the hollow body is so big that I find it doubles as a low-volume acoustic - great for playing in hotel rooms or around a campfire.

The only complaint some people have about these is the pickups - they're kind of generic humbuckers and not "Gretschy" enough for some people - but I'm happy with the sound of mine. You can always put different pickups in too, and it's still way cheaper than the higher-end Gretsches.

The Gretsch Pages (previously linked) has a great Gretsch-specific forum, lots of people with Electromatics to answer your questions.

ReplyQuote
(@preacher)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thank you kindly. :D
-Preacher

ReplyQuote