Clear all

GAS relieved

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I've been wanting an acoustic amp for some time and I've had my eye on a Ashdown acoustic radiator 1. So I took the hour and a half drive to Richmond yesterday to test drive one. I bought a Crate http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Amps?sku=487791
The Crate had more options a better warranty and cost about $100 less. My Tacoma sounded great through it. Shortly after I started playing through the Crate my wife asked me if I wanted her to start writing the check. That sold me! I didn't think I'd have a need for all the effects, but they produced some really cool tones. I was impressed with the reverbs and doubling. Another option I really like is the aux. input. I can plug in a small mixer and run my wifes Keyboard and another mic through it. My GAS relief was short lived, now I've got a taste for a new condensor mic. :wink:

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Congrats, that looks like a really nice amp. Please give us a review after you've used it for a while.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Hah , MF is down...

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Congrats. Sounds like a sweet amp.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Hah , MF is down...

Worked for me. Too well, I might add.

Nice amp. :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

How many other acoustic amps did you try? I'd be curious to know what amps this Crate beat out.

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Congrats on the new amp. And yes, let's have a good review in a few days.

With that $100 you saved, I think you should take your wife out to dinner. :wink:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@mark-taylor)
Estimable Member

Can't knock the Crate amp. I, too was impressed with the acoustic version, but found very little difference in it and the MX65R that I bought. (Could have been the single coil drop in?) The MX was 100 dollars cheaper.
I always thought of Crate as a rocker amp until now.

You can ride a Yamaha, or play a Yamaha, it is up to you.

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

How many other acoustic amps did you try? I'd be curious to know what amps this Crate beat out.

Jason

Ashdown Acoustic Radiator I, Fender Acoustisonic jr. To me any tone difference was negligable but my wife was very impressed with the sound of the Crate, she has a much better ear than me. Things I liked about the Crate. It has a bigger speaker, the dual input jacks, you can plug in a XLR or 1/4 connector into the same jack. I thought that is really cool, we'll have to see how they hold up. Separate gain controls for both channels. Separate feedback elimination switches for both channels. I didn't think I would care about effects but now that I've been playing through it for a few days I really like the effects. I'm having a lot of fun with the reverbs and doubler effect. In my opinion these three amps a compairable as far a sound and quality of workmanship as far as I could tell. The transformer and heat sink are exposed on the Crate and I was impressed with their size. I have a gig this Sunday so I'll be trying it infront of a crowd then. Wes I did take her out to lunch that day and dinner is up coming. I'm putting what's left of the $100 on a condensor mic. GAS sure doesn't stay relieved for long. :wink:
Over all the Crate had more and better features at a better price. And as I said my wife was very impressed with the sound. I like the sound to of coarse.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote