Geek help needed

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Is there anyway to autoplay a file on a USB drive without special software? My though is to create a simple HTML page for my "band", so to speak, with links to various programs we are involved in, things we find interesting, etc.. Also, I'd include a link to a few demo songs stored on the USB drive.

So, when someone inserted it into their USB port it would automatically load the index.html file and the person could make choices.

I could get these imprinted with our logo and hand them out fairly inexpensively.

Now, I dont know that I WOULD do this.. but I just want to know if anyone knows if it is possible.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

It's apparently not 100% reliable, but you can use the same autorun system as you would for a CD, if you know that. I found a techy page for you here, but I can't try it out until I get home later tonight. I'll give it a go if you haven't cracked it by then :wink:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@niklas)
Reputable Member

I know you can link to the songs if you write the links in Word, but maybe you wanted to use HTML? I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be a problem though using HTML.

"Talent is luck. The important thing in life is courage."

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I've just had a little play around here, and couldn't get it to work. I don't know if that's something on my computer or not though, I had a few security tweaks done to it over the years and I can't remember the specifics :roll: :wink:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member

It should work as long as someone hasn't turned off autorun. Alternatively, you could just hand them out and have a page on the root of the drive named "Open Me" or some such.

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote