Clear all

Gettin back in after many moons..Bb trouble

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@mrlogs)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I'm getting back in after 30 yrs..bought an E. Clapton Strat & Flextone III XL..having trouble with the Bb chord..What's the best way?..Using a double barre & cheating in the 1st string?..Any help appreciated!....

Pup
(@pup)
Estimable Member

the Bb is xx0331 right? so don't play the top two strings (low E and A) leave your 4th open (D string), put your index finger on the first fret of the high e string. your middle finger on the 3rd fret 3rd string (G string) and your ring finger on the 3rd fret 2nd string (B)

try that see if that will work for you.

ReplyQuote
(@burgermeister)
Eminent Member

I'm getting back in after 30 yrs..bought an E. Clapton Strat & Flextone III XL..having trouble with the Bb chord..What's the best way?..Using a double barre & cheating in the 1st string?..Any help appreciated!....

Short answer is "yes". Your Bb chord consists of the notes Bb,D,F. If you play your double barre and cheat on the high e string you'll be playing Bb, F,Bb,D which is the basic triad with a doubling up on the Bb note. The only note you miss is a high F which you can get away without playing since you've already played an F on the 4th string.

Pup's suggestion above works also. You can play a basic triad on the 3rd, 2nd, and 1st strings (XXX331) - you'll be playing a Bb,D,F so your covered. You can play the open 4th string and add a D to the bass if you wish and still be "in Key" - you'll be playing a Bb/D.

ReplyQuote
(@mrlogs)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks..I'm barring all 6 on fret-1, and barring the 1st (E,B,G,D) 4 strings on fret 3..cheating on the 1st string by not hitting it..is that OK?

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Yes, as BurgerMeister just said. The only note you wont play is the F on the high-e string, and you already got an F on the firth fret fourth string. It sounds slightly different, but nobody would notice it.

General rule: try it yourself. If it sounds ok, it is ok. :D

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

The double barre can be done without "cheating" yourself into muting that e string, it just takes some careful angling. One thing I learned is that the double bar can be achieve two ways: with your index and ring finger or your index and pinkie finger.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote