Getting a particular sound..

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@mikehull)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Guys,

I have an Ibanez GRG 170DX, a Fender 15R Frontman amp and a Boss DS-1 distortion pedal.

I want to try and get this sound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cc73ROV04c

Any idea's what settings to try? Im currently learning this and intend on playing it an Electric guitar night at a local venue.

He also plays normal chords in this (as well as power chords) and they sound great, yet when i try, its a mess LOL

(@diceman)
Reputable Member

It's my guess that he has an open tuning (open G maybe) with a touch of slap echo (or a very short delay) and slight distortion . I watched his fretting hand and he was playing the chords with a single barre finger , leading me to believe he was using an open tuning . It could be another key because it sounds like the guitar is low-tuned also but that could just be light gauge strings being played really hard .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@mikehull)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I've found a tab of it and it seems to be standard tuning ?

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/w/white_stripes/hotel_yorba_live_tab.htm

also, my next door neighbour has just lent me his Boss GT8 effects board :)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Well, you know, tabs aren't reliable at all.

There's more than one way (or tuning) to play just about anything, and sometimes what comes out when you play a tab doesn't sound like the real thing a bit.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

It could be right , it could be wrong . Tabs are sent in by people who wish to add one to the site . They're not necessarily 100% Gospel . I am also not saying it is incorrect . Try it . If it sounds good , play it that way .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@mikehull)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Well, you know, tabs aren't reliable at all.

There's more than one way (or tuning) to play just about anything, and sometimes what comes out when you play a tab doesn't sound like the real thing a bit.

I know tabs are about as reliable as the UK weather, but they do give a good starting point.

TBH, the way I am going to play it in terms of fretting is different to that tab, as i want it to be my interpretation of it.

I like the idea of playing so much of it in over drive, with some bits in clean as well, which i may just do - if only C and D where possible in with fretting one string like Gmaj is... unless it is?

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

That is just a good ole' Rock and Roll tone there, almost Country sounding.

You want lots of Mids to get that tone. These are just suggestions, but set Bass around 4-5, Mids about 8 or more, and Highs about 6-7. If your your amp has distortion or saturation, keep the Gain low. If you listen carefully that is almost a completely clean tone. So keep distortion or saturation down around 3-4. If your amp has Reverb, crank that up quite a bit.

If you use your Boss pedal for the distortion, try the same settings for tone and keep Gain down low.

It also sounds like he is using the Bridge pickup on his guitar for that song.

Start with these settings, they should get you close, and then fine tweak them by ear.

Good luck at the show, make sure to post a report.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@conuvial)
Trusted Member

This link - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_White_Stripes - has a fairly extensive list of the equipment Jack uses (guitars, amps, and effects) and lists open tunings used on more than a dozen of his songs. Might help......

"...it's in him, and it got to come out..." - JLH

ReplyQuote