Clear all

getting into lead

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Recently I had an opportunity to play with a player skilled in the art of soloing over 12 bar blues progressions. We took turns and I performed fairly well considering I had not attempted it before. When it was my turn I made my lead follow the rthym guitar timing. This sounded half decent but was limiting.

Now I have started doing this with my friends, who also have little experience with this. I am looking for a place to start. For now I intend to stick to the pentatonic and blues scales. I know a few licks from the solos of songs but I find it difficult to incorporate those into my improvisation.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Max

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Keep practicing.

There's a set of downloadable backing tracks to play over here: http://www.gckingoftheblues.com/static_content/view/backing_tracks.html

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

nice link ricochet 8)

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Those are some mighty nice tracks.

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Ricochet. Ill check them out when I get home towmorrow. I supose it is just like everything else practice practice practice.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@kblake)
Reputable Member

Ricochet,

You are the MAN ! They are great....
Trouble is though being TONE deaf :shock: I can't work out the keys, I know I should be able too but, but, but..........

Cheers

Keith

EDIT

Ok I really should look before I post ! :oops:
Quite a few of the tracks have what key they are in....

Modern Blues A
Texas Blues A
East Coast Blues E
Groovin Blues E
Stone Blues A
Laid Down Blues E

But how about a hint for the others ! :?:

I know a little bit about a lot of things, but not a lot about anything...
Looking for people to jam with in Sydney Oz.......

ReplyQuote
(@fretted-fingers)
Trusted Member

I'm getting into playing over 12 bar blues as well.

Just found those backing tracks days before they were posted here.

Gotta love google.

This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

kblake: I haven't had time to go through all of them except for brief listens. Looks to me like they're pretty much all in E or A. These are all basically I-IV-V 12 bar blues (a few of the jazzier ones have some chord substitutions, especially on the IV, explained in the notes on the site.) It's easy to check the key by listening to it and playing what you think is the root note during the I part. It'll sound "right." For instance, you think one might be in E. The first four bars will be in the I chord. Rhythmically pick an E all through that section. Like a bass accompaniment. It'll sound right if it's in E. It won't, if, say, that's in A. E is the fifth of A and will blend in the chord, but you'll tell it's not the root. When the track hits the V chord, it's an E chord and will sound right there. You've just got to listen and get the feel for the 12 bar blues, it's basic to rock as well as blues. Look in the Lessons section of the Guitar Noise Page and hunt up the lessons on the 12 bar blues. That'll help a lot!

You may think you're tone deaf, but it's a skill that can be learned.

ReplyQuote