Notifications
Clear all

Getting punk sound from a strat

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@180digi)
Topic starter  

Hi. My guitar is a white fender Strat with maple neck and stock pickups, played with a Fender Frontman 212R. When I got them back in highschool I was very into bluesy 60s sorts of things. Over the last few years I've been getting into punk much more. I still love my strat though and was wondering how to get a nice punk sound from it, maybe Static Age era Misfits or early 80s Adicts for instance. My thought was to replace the top pickup with something that would give me that sound while leaving the bottom alone. I was also thinking of getting an appropriate effects pedal instead. Could I have some input on this? I acknowledge that punk can sound literally like anything today, but I'm trying to learn all I can about replacing pickups, effects pedals, and how to get certain sounds from one's instrument.

Out of curiosity: If you were to give the same pickup advice but with a 500-600 dollar range Gibson SG instead of a strat, what advice would you give?

(@alangreen)

Joe Strummer used a Les Paul (the photos I have aren't good enough to let you see if it was a Gibson original or a clone) in early Clash gigs, and a Fender Tele later. Video footage of the Sex Pistols - Anarchy in the UK and God Save The Queen - usually show Steve Jones playing a Les Paul too. Video of The Stranglers shows Paul Cornwell using a Tele. So, you ought to be able to get to the sound you want without changing your axe.

You can get that fizzy modern pop sound that's called "punk" by the industry today by using just the bridge pickup, and setting your amp for shedloads of gain. For the British punk sound you still use just the bridge pickup but you'll need to tweak your EQ more than the gain.

For your final question, a Gibson SG is best played using the Angus Young method - everything up to 10 and no FX.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

OK... so playing punk you can realy play anything... thats what they did. they took what guitars, and amps they had, and worked with it. frankly to me I like the sound of some ratty P90 filled guitar playing through some high gain 70's era amp for the punk sound. I bet you dig up some junky 70's era solid state amp, crank that baby up, and hook your strat to it, and it will fill the bill, for very few bills

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

... it will fill the bill, for very few bills

I like that saying.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@anthonyatsnb)

You know, I've always enjoyed the clarity of Fender Strats; great foundation when using high gain effects to drive your sound. I've had great success with Duncan Humbuckers (Gibson) and Duncan Single Coil (Strat) pickups. It may not be absolutely necessary to swap out your pickups, but the effects certainly don't do all the work;)

Anthony at Strings and Beyond

ReplyQuote
(@derek-wilkerson)
Estimable Member

for hardcore punk.. you'll probably want to boost the gain on that fender amp, and run the mids and treble a little higher.

bassist for the crux
Randall RB-125-115 120 watt 15" eminence spk.
Randall RBA 500
2X Acoustic B115's
Peavey T-40
Indiana P-bass

ReplyQuote