GFS Pickups in Guitar Player

35 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
10.2 K Views
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

FYI - for all you GFS nuts, I saw the GFS Brass Bottom Strat pickups featured in the "What's New" section of this month's Guitar Player magazine. I only note it because GFS is one of those "Ebay" brands that seems to pretty decent quality but because it is an Ebay-type product makes people a little leery about buying them... Now gotten into a reputable magazine.

I wonder if those prices will stay so low...

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I almost bought some GFS pickups actually, for the Hagstrom. I held off, but am looking at a set for the Les Paul sometime the summer.

I made a reccomendation for GFS in the thread about replacing squier stock pickup, (a few threads below) but it seemed to have not gone through.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

I'm thinking about a GHS to go in my bridge. I have Duncan Designed Pickups right now, and since I don't use the neck pickup at all, I probobly only put in a bridge. Trying to get more output from the DD's

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I'm thinking about a GHS to go in my bridge. I have Duncan Designed Pickups right now, and since I don't use the neck pickup at all, I probobly only put in a bridge. Trying to get more output from the DD's

I don't use my neck pickup all the much. Sometimes, I use it for clean tones though. Have you tried adjusting your pickup height. You might get a little more output from that.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I thought about getting THESE to upgrade my Behringer Strat. I am unsure how to wire them though? I was hoping I could just cut the existing wires and splice these right on but something tells me that it won't be that easy.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Mike,
you can buy that set from Guitar Fetish ( http://store.guitarfetish.com/singlecoil.html ) for 47.95 anytime you like. They also have a whole raft of other sets, for teles as well.
I may invest in a set of their PAF clones.

When you replace pups, you don't cut wires, it makes it difficult to put them in another guitar. Always unsolder wires.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Mike,
you can buy that set from Guitar Fetish ( http://store.guitarfetish.com/singlecoil.html ) for 47.95 anytime you like. They also have a whole raft of other sets, for teles as well.
I may invest in a set of their PAF clones.

When you replace pups, you don't cut wires, it makes it difficult to put them in another guitar. Always unsolder wires.

Thanks greybeard. I knew that. I just posted that link because I had it available. I was either going to sell the Behringer on eBay or use it as a "learning tool" for upgrades and mods. I will try to get "inexpensive" tuners and maybe even a neck just to practice modding. I figured if I screw up I won't lose much and the extra parts I purchase I can resell on eBay.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Mike, I'd trash/sell the Behringer and try modding a Squier. I think you will have better luck finding stuff (the pickguard, for instance) that will fit the Squier. You can probably sell the Behringer for $60 and get a Squier for $85.

Anyway... last I looked the GFS site also has a "clearance" section that feature a FULL set of overwound strat pickups with a RW middle pickup WITH COVERS for $20. I bought them about a year ago and they are in my strat right now. Sound better than the Mexican Strat pickups -- for only $20!! I highly recommend them. EXTREMELY bluesy at the neck position.

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Mike, I'd trash/sell the Behringer and try modding a Squier. I think you will have better luck finding stuff (the pickguard, for instance) that will fit the Squier. You can probably sell the Behringer for $60 and get a Squier for $85.

Anyway... last I looked the GFS site also has a "clearance" section that feature a FULL set of overwound strat pickups with a RW middle pickup WITH COVERS for $20. I bought them about a year ago and they are in my strat right now. Sound better than the Mexican Strat pickups -- for only $20!! I highly recommend them. EXTREMELY bluesy at the neck position.

Thanks Dali, I just ordered a set of the vintage for $20.95 shipped! As for the Behringer that is what I will be modding. I have a Squier Strat that I am happy with as is. The Behringer actually plays very nice. I think with new tuners and pickups it will sound nice. I only wanted to replace the neck with a rosewood one. The maple one on there is unfinished and I like a bit of finish on there.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I am thinking about getting THESE Tuners in the future but I never had locking tuners before. Are they worth getting?

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@ivankaramazov)
Estimable Member

I just put a GFS Crusader in the bridge position on an old Samick I'm redoing. Combined with the new electronics I wired the thing screams like crazy. Hell of an upgrade for $50.

I don't know that advertising in Guitar Player will cause prices to go up for GFS, seems to me pretty much every guitar player already knows about them.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I haven't used the Wilkinson locking tuners, but in general locking tuners are worth every penny.

Let me know what you think of those GFS strat pups!

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

Funny that you all are upgrading strats, I have an old samick, and I'm thinking about we doing the pups. The old ones are beat up real bad. I was also thinking about getting a prewired pickguard. Has anyone had expierience with a prewired pickguard through guitarfetish? Should the holes line up?

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Funny that you all are upgrading strats
Yeah, interesting, that.
Has anyone tried GFS's humbuckers?

I'm getting tired of the strange noises (extremely microphonic, boomy lows, weak highs) coming out of the pickups on my ancient Les Paul knockoff.

I've got to replace one of the pots anyway, maybe I should do the pickups while I've got it opened up.

What's the difference in sound between the vintage 59's and the Dream 180? In the "sales pitch" they're comparing them to sounds that I don't know.with LOTS of Filtertron tone

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Filtertron is the high-end Gretsch humbucker - think Brian Setzer. It's a quite distinctive, nasal (IMHO) sound. You'd have to love it to want your guitar sounding like that!

The GFS humbuckers that I've heard are very good, sound more like DiMarzio (Parker Fly) than anything else I can think of... haven't heard their PAF replacements, but I should think they'd be good and quite authentic-sounding. Their single-coil pups are excellent, almost Seymour Duncan-ish in sound.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3