Clear all

Gibson Burstbucker

24 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@dcmarshall)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

The Guitar Shop where I take lessons recently lost their merchandise deal with Gibson. So, they're in the process of selling off equipment/gear at a deep discount. Right now, they have a pair of Gibson Burstbucker pickups (neck & bridge) available at 1/2 price. I have an Epi Les Paul, with standard/stock pickups, that sound muddy to me. (I also have a MIM Telecaster with stock pickups, but they actually sound pretty good. I suppose that's one difference b/n Fender MIM's and the Epiphones. But I digress).

Anyone have any experience with the Burstbuckers and/or swapping them into an Epi Les Paul? Just wondering if this is a deal that I shouldn't pass up.

Thanks for your opinions.

(@the-dali)
Noble Member

What is the deal? $100 for both?

I love Gibson humbuckers and I think you would find a huge difference in the sound of your Epi if you replaced the stock pups.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Dali is correct. They go for around $100 each, so if the set is $100 for both, it is a good deal. Are they brand new?

Burstbuckers Pros come on Gibson LP Standards. They should really improve your Epi's sound.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Accessories/Gear/Pickups/BurstBucker%20Pro%20%281%29/

ReplyQuote
(@dcmarshall)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Yes, the deal would be roughly $120 for both the neck and the bridge pickups. I wouldn't be swapping them in/out myself, so there's that cost as well, but that's expected, so I wouldn't be factoring it in.

Sounds like something that may be too good to pass up. Hmm. Father's Day is rapidly approaching . . .

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

If I lived in your area they would be MINE. I also have an Epi LP which sounds muddy to me. It would be worth the $ to try out new pups as I really like the rest of the guitar.
Robbie

I have read good things about Burstbuckers but to be honest I haven't actually heard them!

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Robbie:

Check my link in a post above. The gibson burstbucker page has two audio samples.

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

Thanx CFB appreciate that
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@dhutson)
Estimable Member

Do they have more than one pair and will they ship? I would love a pair at that price!

http://www.soundclick.com/wayneroberts

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Go for it. I have no idea what they normally retail at outside of a LP but if they look like a bargain do it.

I'm not sure what your Epi sounds like at the moment but with the Gibson pups in I'm sure it will be like a new guitar. I don't think burstbuckers could ever be accused of being muddy. I love em.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

FYI - they go for $110 each, at least on Musician's Friend:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-BurstBucker-Pro-Humbucker-Pickup?sku=304665

ReplyQuote
(@alouden)
Trusted Member

Good deal aside...

My local guitar shop is experiencing the same issue with Gibson/Epiphone, which I find most disturbing. Essentially what Gibson/Epiphone is doing is dictating to these locallly owned music stores the amount of merchandise they must buy each month and what models they must accept.

Sounds to me like they only want to deal with the huge stores that can do mega volumes of business and hang the little guy out to dry.

ReplyQuote
(@dcmarshall)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Just an update - I took the plunge and bought the Burstbuckers (neck and bridge) for $100. They're being installed by the pro's now. Hopefully, this will be a nice and noticeable upgrade for my Epiphone Les Paul.

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

Cool, let us know how you like them after they are installed in your epi and describe the difference in tone if you can. If they reduce the what I call muddiness of the epi pickups I may have to get some.
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Good luck with them. I am sure you will like them. My LP has them - great tone. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

CFB, I clicked on that link and learned lots about the Gibson pickups. Thanks.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2