Clear all

Gilmour's Sound

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@rip-this-joint)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

How does David go about getting that nice sound in between notes. Its almost like a crunch or something, but it can be heard in most of his solos. I know comes to his fingers, but how exactly does he go about getting that sound? Is it a really strong stroke with the plectrum or what?

(@davidhodge)

Bear in mind that this might not be true of Gilmour, but it is certainly true of many studio recordings -

Quite often a guitarist (or a producer or engineer) will use a live mike in a studio to get the pick sounding against the strings of the electric guitar. This produces the sort of effect that Gilmour gets that (I think) you're talking about.

There are all sorts of ways to attack and rake the strings, and Gilmour loves raking the strings, but part of the sound you hear might conceivably be pick noise picked up by a microphone and amplified.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

you have to be british. it's something in the water.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Some of what you are hearing is simply muted strokes. Through a fair amount of gain, plus some moderate modulation FX (light phase or flange), these in between strokes impart a very organic feeling to a ones playing. This is pretty easy to do (and overdo) once one gets the hang of it.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Some of what you are hearing is simply muted strokes. Through a fair amount of gain, plus some moderate modulation FX (light phase or flange), these in between strokes impart a very organic feeling to a ones playing. This is pretty easy to do (and overdo) once one gets the hang of it.

I've noticed he "Rakes" alot in his solos too.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I've noticed he "Rakes" alot in his solos too.

Yes -- dhodge mentioned this above. I'm pointing out muted strokes in addition to the raking.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote