Skip to content
Going back to the b...

Notifications
Clear all

Going back to the beginning (recommendations?)

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@clazon)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Having recently been able to conquer some long running tracks I've been learning for about 6 months atleast now, I was a little stuck for new songs to play and was frankly a little overconfident (?) and thought that there weren't many challenging things to play, without having toi learn how to sweep/shred.

However, I recently decided to start fingerpicking again, having learnt like that for the first 2 months I picked up the guitar. I realised it was both challenging yet easier in some ways.

Anyways, I'm just happy I found something to keep me playing! :)

I was however looking for some recommendations for some stuff similar to Nick Drake - Day is Done, or Led Zepp - Babe I'm gonna leave you. Any shouts?

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

(@rahul)
Famed Member

You can never 'Do it all' in guitar. You will keep finding different styles and techniques to learn, which is a real good thing for your playing.

For fingerpicking stuff, try some country music songs. More so, you can play your normal songs fingerstyle. That gives them a whole new sound.

Enjoy !

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

damn. 6 months? i've been playing for 15 years and i'm as lost as ever.

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I had been playing for the 2 and a half years prior to these six months, but this was more of a period of consolidation for me to guarantee that I had some nuances in technique right, etc.

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

A couple come to mind.

Led Zep - Going To California
The Who - Behind Blue Eyes

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

The Who - Behind Blue Eyes

That's the song I'm working on at the moment - trying to put a do-able solo acoustic version together, I'm about ready to venture back into open mic territory. I'm using (mostly) Mattguitar's tab from the Easy Song Database, with a few variations of my own thrown in.

Another great song to practise fingerpicking on - and like Behind Blue Eyes, it's part picking, part strumming - is Boston's "More Than A Feeling," although you really need (at least!) two guitars to do it justice. But it's great to be able to play along with the CD!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote