Clear all

Going to College 2nd Thoughts

11 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@danada)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Might not be what you are thinking because I will be going to college no doubt about it, and no intentions about quitting or w/e. Situation: Not a grade A student (less than average, a bit unmotivated in highschool). But dont let that fool you, highschool was rough for me, and am excited to get out. Now, Im in NY and am going to a suny school I have intrests in animation (movies, games, etc) particularly with Maya (if your familiar), ne ways I've also got music in the back of my mind, however, I have never had any musical background or intrests previous to music until recently when I began playing guitar (first instrument). Now the school im going to (alfred) is not exactly strong in the whole music department. I alrdy know that im probably going to transfer after 1-2 yrs (boost those grades and get into more specialized school, "hopefully"). Ok, now that you know something about me Ill try to make this ezier to understand, I would like to go to college for animation, yet a part of me wants to study music as well (particularly music in Movies, Games, etc. and that means I would like to either make, modify, or whatever you do to insert music into games and such). So at this point im not sure which way I want to go and am not sure if the college im going to will support both intrests. Just seeking input and advice, even comparing the two fields, and whats required to succeed, also the job names for the muscial positions that I might be intrested in for further research.

Thanks

"We're officially on welfare. Come on, kids. Help me scatter garbage on the front lawn."

(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

As far as going back to school, I did it in my mid 30's and I was in the half of my high school class that made the top half possible :lol: You can always major in two fields ( Music /film and something like teaching that you could make a living at if the music don't pan out four you.--the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@danada)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

You can always major in two fields

Ya thats what I was thinking, unfortunately I dont think the college im attending will have the music classes I need to receive3 a major in music but I will check again.

"We're officially on welfare. Come on, kids. Help me scatter garbage on the front lawn."

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Or....... you could major in one and minor in the other................. just a thought! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

If you are confident in your career path, you can look at tech schools like Full Sail and others. The teach computer graphics, animation, movie and music production, etc. They have both Associate and Bachelors programs.

Laz

ReplyQuote
(@danada)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Ya...I think I'll probably have to look into that as well. I was not very prepared when I made my choice of school, and I did not leave myself open to many options. I am hoping to get a minor maybe a major in music production (of some sort) but I guess I cannot be certain until I learn something about it in college (assuming I find a school that provides what I'm looking for). So until then Ill stick with what I got and hope I find something I like even more! :wink:

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@danada)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

PS Or....... you could major in one and minor in the other................. just a thought!
Brilliant!! :D

ReplyQuote
(@saber)
Reputable Member

A double major is very hard with music. I've known many people to drop the major because a 3 hour credit course will often be six hours long. The major is just much more time consuming then most, and if you have to work through college, having another major would be very difficult.

"Like the coldest winter chill. Heaven beside you. Hell within." -Jerry Cantrell

ReplyQuote
(@shredgeek)
Eminent Member

You could always do the animation/film or whatever for your degree and do berkleemusic online when you had the time later http://www.berkleemusic.com/

ReplyQuote
(@jasonrunguitar)
Reputable Member

I'm majoring in physics right now and, just last year I picked up a second major (in math, not music...though, trust me, music definitely crossed my mind). I'll say this: it's definitely not easy...but what gets me through it is the fact that I love both of those subjects (and that I still have my guitar to console me when I'm just about fed up with homework sets :smile:). So, in one sense, it really is as hard as it sounds....but in another sense, if you have a passion for what you're doing, it's really not as bad as it may seem. Maybe I'm being a bit to philosophical and that's all just me talking, but it's really and truely what I have experienced, so I thought I'd pass it along. Oh, and if you're planning on transfering anyway, I wouldn't worry about the quality of your school's music department. With music, I've found that the main thing is just that you "do it", one way or the other. Learning from the best teacher in the world, or figuring something out on your own, it all comes down to actually "doing"...and as long as you're "doing" you can't help but get better. And as long as you're a music major (or minor) you won't really have any way around applying yourself to music every day :smile:

-Jason
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To those about to rock, we salute you!
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonwittenbach

ReplyQuote
(@mariatherese)

I am an animator/motion graphics designer at a local news station. I have one year left of school. I attend a fine arts college. Many classes that we have had to take have been music related, as my school feels it is very important to have a good background in sound as an animator. they are not classes that focus on music the way you might like, though (actual instruments, music theory, etc) and I think you may have a hard time finding a school that will offer both programs. Why? because any college that is serious about animation is going to be an art school. NOT full sail type programs. just so you know, to be taken seriously in the business of design and animation, do NOT go to full sail. they will only teach you the technical skills, they will not teach you the conceptual skills- what really sets a good designer apart from a bad one. anyone can use a program, its HOW you use it. you have to, unfortunately, spend a lot of money at a private art school. it is your choice what to do. scholarships are available to transfer students. thats what i did. and i come from a very poor family so if i can do it, anyone can.

and don't worry about your grades/motivation. animation and design is so much fun, you'll love it.

but i digress- there is a guy here at our station who started in sound/music (had a degree in it and worked as a sound tech for quite some time). he learned maya on his own and switched to animation. he is our best designer. there are also sound guys here who do not have degrees in the field. my point is that the two are related, and i believe just having a musical background will make you a much more desirable employee in the animation/design job market. trust me, it will.

so, i think you should:

a) try and find a GREAT school that offers both. but if you can't, which i think may be the case (but good luck),

b) major in animation at a fine art school and take as many of the sound related classes that they offer. in searching for schools to transfer to, read their class lists. you could ask the department head there if they would be willing to let you put "music minor" on your degree even though they don't officially offer that. you'd be surprised at how flexible they can be, if you just tell them how important it is for an animator to know sound in the business.

and btw it doesnt matter what school you go to first, as long as you are going to transfer. its the school you go to to finally get your bachelors that matters. just remember that if you transfer, you have to retake any studio classes at your new school. a serious fine arts school will want to make sure that you take all of the important classes (involving animation) THERE. THEY WILL NOT TRANSFER. so, take your core classes at your junior college- liberal arts, drawing, etc. I HAVE BEEN GOING TO SCHOOL FOR 6 YEARS BECAUSE I WASNT PREPARED AND DIDNT KNOW WHAT SCHOOL I WAS TRANSFERRING TO, MANY OF MY CLASSES I HAD TO RETAKE. SO, KNOW YOUR PLAN, MAN. you dont want to be graduating when youre 27, like me.

ReplyQuote