Clear all

Good (and hopefully) Cheap Cases?

13 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@geek-in-the-pink)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I was saving up for an electric guitar, and I went to the guitar center a few weeks ago to look for one, and I'm pretty sure I'm getting a Fender Stratocaster. Does anyone know any good electric guitar cases? (that's why I typed my shopping story, I'm not sure if different types/brands needs different cases) Nothing too expensive... maybe $60-$100??? Thanks for your help. :)

(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I have this case, and it's ok for just transporting around to gigs, etc. I wouldn't suggest it for air travel or anything though.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Accessories?sku=540948

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

That case made me the best kind for gigs and regular transporting. Like was said earlier, it more then likely work for airplanes. That case could work for regular use though.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I'll recommend the CNB brand cases sold by Rondo Music. I have several.
http://rondomusic.net/

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Hey Richochet, those CNB cases look nice. Which ones do you have? I'd ask you what you think of them, but I think you love all things Rondo! Those display cases look interesting though.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I've got the fancy leatheroid covered Gibson style hardshell cases for LP and 335 style guitars, and an injection molded plastic 335 style. The plastic one doesn't feel substantial and its latches have to pull it in line a bit, but it gets the job done. The black plastic does hide scrapes well. The hardshell cases are things of beauty, feel good and solid, they line up and close perfectly. The fake leather stuff on the outside is pretty easy to nick and scrape as you bump into things, it's thin, but you'll get some wear and tear on anything you use. I think they're very nice hardshell cases, especially for the price.

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

That's cool Ricochet. I am in need of a couple hardshells too. Maybe I'll check those out.

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

Ricochet, I read a statement in Rondo's FAQ that admitted that the cases are for lite use, only.
That's why I passed on them when I found them, but now i am intrigued. How would you compare them to, for example, the hardshell cases that Musicians Friend sells, or the SKB cases that come with the nicer Fenders???

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I dunno, I've never tried standing or sitting on them, but they look and feel as substantial. Like I said, the covering will scrape easily. But it's not a light case. The top is moulded into an arch and is quite stiff. I've got a Gibson SJ-200 that came with one of their HSCs, and it feels comparable to that. But I've not seen its construction under the upholstery, and certainly haven't put either to any potentially destructive testing. What they probably mean by "light use only" is that they don't want to guarantee it for use in airline baggage. I wouldn't want to try that, either. That's about as destructive as it gets.

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

i have 2 SKB cases and they are great. They really protect the guitar. I got caught in a rainstorm once with my Fender dreadnaught in an SKB case, and i was sure that moisture had gotten in the case to the guitar, but inside was dry as a bone. they are solid cases. the guitars fit well. love em.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

skb cases are great

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

You can probably get almost any case you want on Ebay for $50 - 75 shipped. Also, another option is to find an inexpensive Squier that comes with a hardcase on ebay (say, less than $200) and then turn around and sell the guitar. You can probably get close to getting the case for free.

I have a Freedom case that seems pretty solid, but I wouldn't stack things on top of it! My Fender case is solid as well.

If you are looking for something to use for bringing your guitar to friend's houses and lessons, almost any hardcase will do. If you are worried about stuff being stacked on top of it, or serious damage at a show, go with SKB. My Gibson case is made my SKB in Canada - very nice.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

Yeah, I have to say, the SKB cases that come with american fenders are quite nice. (They shoudl be for the price) The only problem is that the latches don't line up just right. That's a problem with all molded cases, though, right?

ReplyQuote