Skip to content
Good at repairs/set...

Notifications
Clear all

Good at repairs/setup, rhythm playing, NEED help w/lead tab!

13 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@mike-esposito)
Topic starter  

Hey, guys and girls- I'm new here in this forum, but have found this site before, and love it! Full of GREAT info. I want to start by saying I've been plucking away for 30 years, and I can help those who need a little insight on theory, chord construction, playing and singing, etc. I,m pretty good at the rhythym and chord part of guitars, and great at setup, repairs, truss, intonation, etc. I'm great at electronics(I'm a tech), pickups, etc. What I am HOPING one of you great lead players out there can help with is this- Now don't laugh! I'm a fan of 70's classic rock, Zeppelin, Floyd, Trower, Clapton, Stevie Ray, etc., but I also like ANYTHING that sounds good to my ear. I love the solo in Prince's "Let's Go Crazy". I know it's based on a basic pentatonic or blues scale, but I'm not good at figuring out fast leads by just hearing them. I've looked ALL over the World Wide Web, there's millions of tabs, but not Prince's "Let's Go Crazy". I even tried to find a book, and cant find one! Can anybody tell me, or direct me, to a way to learn this solo? Thanx, Mike

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

welcome to the forum. I have always disliked the Tabs I found on line. hate em.
I have toyed with the idea of getting a slow downer device. they are on sale now at guitar centers.
for under two hundred you can drop in a CD, play the song on pitch but slower.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@prndl)
Reputable Member

There are Guitar Pro files here
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?s=Let%27s+Go+Crazy&w=songs

Transcribe! is great for slowing down songs.
In the old days, we used a tape recorder with a variable DC power supply. Lower DC voltage would slow down the tape speed.

1 watt of pure tube tone - the Living Room Amp!
http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/LivingRoomAmp.html
Paper-in-oil caps rule!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to GN Mike.

I've got the GP file on my drive. The only lead kind of thing I see is right at the end. Is that what you're looking for? I can export out of GP and paste it in here as text. Just need to know which peice you want. There's 3 guitars on this.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@mikke)

Yes, rparker, I would LOVE it if you could send the lead guitar solo at the end, or any of the song's chord structure, either here, or to my e-mail. I sent you a message, because I had such a hard time getting back into this forum, the login/password page was driving me NUTS, so I had to start over under my new name, "mikke". Thanks again, and if you ever need any blues/rock (Zeppelin, Stones, Hendrix, Pink Floyd, Stevie Ray Vaughan), or ANY tab, or repair/setup questions, I'd be glad to help! I don't have Guitar Pro, or ANY special tab software, I can only read it in text. Are Guitar Pro tabs the real thing, like the song's original score? I don't care, I'm just hoping it's somewhat accurate, I always wanted to learn that solo, and the real chords for "Purple Rain". I'm really not a big Prince fan, but those 2 songs, I always thought were great, and could never find the right tab for either. Thanks again, and Keep on Rockin'! :mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Mike, I just emailed what I had.

Guitar Pro is software that allows you to watch and hear the music note by note. I'm pretty sure all of the files are user created. Hence, there are errors or different interpretations from time to time. Sometimes they are garbage, but most of the time they are useful. The biggest benefit I get is that it helps me with the timing and rhythm when I learn a new song.

There's a free thing similar out there called Power Tab. It's not loaded up like Guitar Pro, but it's along the same basic idea.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

yea what Ray said about Guitar Pro. It is a notch up from PowerTab but PowerTab is free and I'm cheap so I use that. GP has the instruments on different tracks and you can mute them so you can only hear whatever instrument you want. There are alot of other features I never used when it used to be free.

With that said both of them contain tab written by whomever. Yes I will admit that both are much better than the regular tab crap on the Internet but there are many I've found that are garbage too.

They are good for getting the rhythm down if you don't have a recording of the song though.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@kblake)
Reputable Member

Iam cheap too, but I actually paid for Guitar Pro because I liked it so much.
With the songs I like i usually take everything out of the mix and just leave bass and drums so can jam along.
Keith

I know a little bit about a lot of things, but not a lot about anything...
Looking for people to jam with in Sydney Oz.......

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Iam cheap too, but I actually paid for Guitar Pro because I liked it so much.
With the songs I like i usually take everything out of the mix and just leave bass and drums so can jam along.
Keith

I've never thought about doing that. I just tried it. You can export a midi from it, and you can mute the instruments that you want to. So, if you wanted to make a backing track for jamming with, you got it instantly.

KEWL!!!!!!!! 8)

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@kblake)
Reputable Member

See Roy,
Occasionally I have a worthwhile input ! :D
Have fun
Keith

I know a little bit about a lot of things, but not a lot about anything...
Looking for people to jam with in Sydney Oz.......

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

You can also import a midi to it and have GP tab it out for you (then do all the cool stuff that GP can do).

I was looking for a tab of the Wallace and Grommit theme song, but couldn't find it anywhere, but I did track down a midi file that I liked the sound of, so i pulled it into GP, did a bit of tinkering (automatic tabbing never gets the fingerings 100% reasonable)and dropped it about half an octave from it's original key (the midi file had the lowest note around the 10th fret on the high e string - I am not yet comfortable playing way up there)

My son was beside himself when he heard me playing it the next day!
And he was bouncing off the walls when he saw that I'd printed the standard notation, and left it on his piano's music stand.

Well worth the cost of guitar pro!

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

How much does it cost?

I had a free demo of it but I don't have it anymore... I liked it a lot but didn't buy it... I'm cheap too, but it may be a great investment..

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

How much does it cost?

I had a free demo of it but I don't have it anymore... I liked it a lot but didn't buy it... I'm cheap too, but it may be a great investment..
It's about $60.
I upgraded from the previous version, so that was only $30

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote