Skip to content
Good books of Chord...

Notifications
Clear all

Good books of Chords & Scale Relationships?

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@ab0msnwman)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Would you guys know of any good books dealing with progressions, how chords work together and what scales jive with what chords etc.

I have a pretty good grasp on the fundamentals of theory now--I can harmonize all the major and minor scales in triads and sevenths and I have a solid understanding of basic chord structures like major, minor, seventh, dominant seventh, minor seven flat five, sus2/4, add6/9 etc.

I also know the major scale pretty much backwards and forwards along with all its modes in all keys, but I am kind of at a loss for how I fit my knowledge of scales together with chords.

So like I said, I'm looking for a good book that would primarily focus on chord/scale relationships (when to use which scale for which progression etc) and if it went into chord progressions (what chords work well together etc) that would be an added bonus.

Thanks

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Not sure, but this might be close to what you're looking for:
Guitar Total Scales Techniques and Applications

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

you always hear people recommend "chord chemistry" by ted greene if you're getting into jazz theory. i've never read it myself, so this is secondhand knowledge.

ReplyQuote
(@hobbypicker)
Estimable Member

I've got Chord Chemistry by Ted Greene http://www.amazon.com/Chord-Chemistry-Ted-Greene/dp/0898986966 and I need a lifetime to digest it. You'll find a lot of stuff to bring you further on your road of guitar playing. Another good book is Tne Advancing Guitarist by Mick Goodrick http://www.amazon.com/Advancing-Guitarist-Mick-Goodrick/dp/0881885894/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-3797544-7083312?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174552088&sr=1-1 it too can be a lifelong project. Check them out and see if they're somwhere near what you want. There will be other resources going more straight to the relationship of chords and scales, but I think these two stand out as rather special. :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@iliketheguitar)
Estimable Member

It hasn't arrived yet, but I just ordered The Complete Idiot's Guide to Solos and Improvisation. Looks like a good book.

ReplyQuote
(@ab0msnwman)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Yeah I ordered chord chemistry.

and tom kolb's modes for guitar (his basic theory book was great--Music Theory: Everything you ever wanted to know but were afraid to ask)

along with mastering modes for guitar by ed lozano and joe dineen

thanks for the suggestions everyone!

ReplyQuote