Skip to content
Good Materials and ...

Notifications
Clear all

Good Materials and Methods for learning the basics of Guitar and visualizing the fretboard?

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@glober)
Topic starter  

I plan on learning Flamenco Guitar in the future, so before hand I would like to learn the fundamentals of guitar on my own so when I do take lessons on Flamenco I wouldn't waste so much time on the basics and have a hard time with the fretboard in general.

What are some good materials you guys would recommend? Are there any method books, theory books, video tutorials, or even videos from youtube or udemy, etc that you guys could recommend?

What I like to work on is being more familiar with the fretboard, knowing where notes are, and especially, how to visualize and be more comfortable with where everythings are.

I did some looking around online, is the CAGED system any good? or 3 notes per string?

What are some things I should focus on first, second.... in terms of scales, chords, etc.
If it's not too much trouble, can anyone perhaps show me a good practice routine on the most important things I should learn and practice ?

(@alangreen)

Start with the Juan Martin book.

Also - Gerhard Graf-Martinez has an excellent two-book two-DVD tutor series.

Subscribe to the "Nuestro Flemanco" podcast from RTVE (available at rvte.es or iTunes) - if (like me) you can't speak Spanish then you're getting it just for the music.

And watch as much as you can on YouTube; avoid the colourful Tango/ Rhumba stuff they use to trap you in the tourist spots - it's not really authentic.

Names - Paco de Lucia, Paco Pena, and go from there

That ought to last you the first five years. Remember also that the singer is the most important part of the performance.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote