Clear all

Good Metal Pedal?

16 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey, I am now in the market for a nice metal pedal. I've got my analog man modded Ibanez TS-9 for classic rock, but nothing for metal. Any suggestions? I soon plan to get a new amp, a Peavey Classic 30, which isnt really a megga distortion metal amp, so I'm gonna need a pedal. Thanks for any suggestions.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

Well I'm hardly an authority on metal pedals but...

My main distortion pedal is an OLD and beat up Rockson Metal Rocker. They still make these, they run like $60, but i got mine for $10 used on ebay. I don't play metal at all but i really like the pedal and i use it for rock and whatnot. I'm surprised it still works but hey, whatever. It's a little harsh sounding, so maybe if you can check it out somewhere?

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@purplefenderstrat)
Trusted Member

may want to look into a Boss Death metal distortion...digitech has killer distortion too! good luck!

"im the one who has to die when its time for me to die..so let me live my life, the way i want to.."-Jimi Hendrix-If 6 was 9

Paul Y Howdilly doodily neigborini!!

ReplyQuote
(@marshall)
Trusted Member

if you want metal, then you want digatech metal master. That's all there is to it. I also have Boss, it SUCKS, the digatech is by far the better pedal for metal.

All you know about me is what I've sold you. I sold out long before you ever heard my name.
I sold my soul to make a record, Dip sh#t, And you bought one. ~Maynard James Keenan~

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

My favorite for that sort of sound is a BOSS MT-2 MetalZone. Pretty inexpensive, lots of tone control (esp with the parametric looking mid), gain to the point where it's too much if you're not careful, and built like a tank. The controls are real sensitive so a little here and there can make a big difference.

It got me smiling though. I put a Fender Strat (with HotStacks) through it and then into a tiny little (but LOUD) Musicman 110 RD50. It was like having a miniature Mesa Boogie crunching away. Oh the Musicman is close to a Fender clean-type sound, with tube power section and FET frontend, but it seemed to like the MetalZone a LOT.

Lots of people hate them though, so it's best to visit your local music store and try everything out that you can.

Take care :)

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I went to boss's website and listened to the sound clips for the Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, and believe me, I liked what I heard. Thats exactly what I'm looking for. Do you think I could get that sound with a Les Paul through a Peavey Classic 30?

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

This might sound weird, but don't use any of the pedals mentioned. All these 'metal' pedals are used best over a clean transistor amp, getting all distortion from the pedal. If you have a Classic 30, you might be MUCH better off using booster pedals. Luckily for you, you already own one of the two classics: TS9 and Boss SD1. These pedals might sound 'weak', but when you use them to push already overdriven tubes further you'll be amazed where you'll end up.

My advice: get the amp, then just play around with the amp and your current pedal, and if that doesn't work, spend the cash on other equipment.

ReplyQuote
(@marshall)
Trusted Member

I went to boss's website and listened to the sound clips for the Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, and believe me, I liked what I heard. Thats exactly what I'm looking for. Do you think I could get that sound with a Les Paul through a Peavey Classic 30?

If you set your amp to clean, yes you will get the sounds you heard. or at least you should. why don't you follow this link real quick and listen to this pedal. then see which one you like the best between the two.

http://www.digitech.com/products/metalmaster.htm #

All you know about me is what I've sold you. I sold out long before you ever heard my name.
I sold my soul to make a record, Dip sh#t, And you bought one. ~Maynard James Keenan~

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Wow, that one sounds great too. Guess I've got a bit of a decision to make. I'm gonna try to get into my shop soon and give em both a good testing. And arjen, I'll need to try that out too and see how that sounds. Thanks all, I'll let ya know what I end up getting.

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

set the distortion level to minimum and the volume to max (or whatever) to overdrive the tubes and essentially use it as a clean boost (but its not the best way). You can also get a EQ pedal and boost the frenquencies (whereever you like) to overdrive the tubes.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

Honestly i don't like either but if you have to choose one i'd go with the BOSS. Why don't you just get a good marshall ? The Dist coming from a good amp will always (in my opinion) sound better than that from a pedal.

The twin rectifier mode on my Cube 30 also sounds pretty good.

Minus Human

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@marshall)
Trusted Member

what are pedals good for? ... switching between clean and distortion during songs. can't do that with amp distortion without stopping from playing and reaching over and doing it manually then start playing again.

I own a Boss pedal. the distortion is VERY weak. there's alot of hype about Boss pedals. I got one. BIGGEST piece of CRAP i ever plugged into a guitar.
The Digitech is way more fuller and the distortion kicks butt. you have more options. on mine i have my level output set at about 1/3. Any more than that and i'd fall in the floor from the distortion knocking me down. the Boss I have. i have it turned all the way up and the distorion is so weak that i have to use the amps distortion with it's gain set on 9 just to get a halfway decent sound from it....what's the point in that??

Everybody on this site always says, "get a bOss, get a Boss"
Take it from someone who plays metal, everyday, all day, everynight, all night. DON'T GET THE BOSS, you'll regret it if you do. All the local metal bands in my area use DOD or Digitech, NONE of them use BOSS.... NONE!!

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

what are pedals good for? ... switching between clean and distortion during songs. can't do that with amp distortion without stopping from playing and reaching over and doing it manually then start playing again.

Sorry but you can. use a footswitch. and you can use both the clean and distortion from your amp. without using a dist pedal.

Minus Human

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

The Classic 30 is footswitchable, but you do have to buy the separate footswitch.

You have a lot of options with this amp. Try driving the preamp distortion with your TS-9 and see if you can get what you want. You might find it a little midrangey for metal, but maybe you can dial in a sound through the amp's eq and Guitar's tone. Don't forget to work the guitar's volume knob, turning this up with hot pickups can dramatically affect the distortion.

You may find you end up getting another pedal for that metal sound. If you do, you have the option, with this amp, of driving the preamp distortion as Arjen suggests or putting the pedal in the effects loop. This setup will be cleaner and give you more of the pedal's sound. You may find you like that solid state distortion for the sound you are looking for.

The speaker in this amp is voiced pretty warmly, though, so you may not ever get quite the sound without changing the speaker. But you have a lot of options to try first thanks to your choice of a very fine amp.

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks everyone for your imput. Went down to my music shop today, they didnt have any Peavey Classic 30's, but they said theyd order me one, and it'll be in in about 2-3 weeks. Once I can test it out, I'll see what I like best. Thanks again all.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2