Good price?

13 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I'm thinkin about buying this: http://austin.craigslist.org/msg/89375885.html

It seems like a pretty good deal, but I just wanted to touch base with you guys before I bite... :)

Stairway to Freebird!

(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

Seems good to me, but you have to defiently check with the experts here. If it is a tube amp, I say go for it.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

It's a tube amp.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Oh man.. He says he already has a few guys interested, but noone have came and picked it up... I offered to pick it up today, but I haven't gotten a response back...

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

I have a Vibro Champ and it's a great little amp. I bought mine at a yard sale for $20. I've gotten offers for it as much as $500, it is in good condition but I don't about that much). I have had several offers over $300.

I'm sure he will get some interested people at that price.

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I have a Vibro Champ and it's a great little amp. I bought mine at a yard sale for $20.

Dang! Nice score! :)

Well folks, I got it!

That's the pic the seller had, but it looks just like that... I reeled it in for 200 bucks (ten times as much as PappaJohn paid! :cry:) But, I still think I got a great deal on it! All original, no repairs, nothing... Hasn't been used in ten years, just sitting in a room with an amp cover on it. Everthing works on it perfectly, and my only complaint is a slight hiss. Any way to fix this? (Then again, it could just be my unsheilded strat) No overdrive, but the best clean sound, ever!!!! I fooled around with some jazz chords, sounded exellent. Vibrato works perfectly. Really, the tone is to die for! Made in Fullerton, California, sometime in the 70's (I'm researching the exact year right now)... Etc. etc.

I post some clips this weekend maybe! :D :D :D

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Good catch! I don't think I'd sweat a slight hiss. Sometimes things like that "fix" themselves with use in equipment that hasn't been used in a long time.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I can't wait till monday, when my parents are at work... I'm gonna really push this thing to the limit! 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Just make sure you let it warm up for atleast 30 sec. to a minute. By doing that, you let the plates warm up before you start crankin'.

Have fun with your new toy!!!

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Thats a cool amp, I've played through one back in the day. I got a 1968 fender princton reverb for $35.00, but that was in 1975 :lol: Back then you could buy tube amps dirt cheap! Our bass player got a Band Master for $125.00 in 1974 ( i think it was a 1968 model) --ENJOY your new toy--the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

I reeled it in for 200 bucks (ten times as much as PappaJohn paid! :cry:) But, I still think I got a great deal on it!

I think you got a great deal too. Enjoy, I do mine.

Mine was one of those rare right-place,right-time deals - the guy had no idea what he was selling. As I walked away (quite happy with my purchase), I heard the guy say to his wife that he was ready to take 5 bucks for it. I didn't care.

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Just make sure you let it warm up for atleast 30 sec. to a minute. By doing that, you let the plates warm up before you start crankin'.!

Does turning it off and on burn out the tubes, or something else? :?:

Thanks every one, I'm definatly gonna put this to good use! :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Does turning it off and on burn out the tubes, or something else? :?:

No. If you turn it on and off back and forth 100 times in a row you might burn out the switch, but that's about it. Then again, that goes for most switches anyway because of the constant heating and electrical current induced by the on selector.

With tube amps, you want to let them warm up before you start jammin' away. Same as your car in the winter. Not that you have to go through that though. :roll:

ReplyQuote