Clear all

Good recording mic for $20?

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey, I would like to record some of my guitar playing, only problem is that I don't have a mic, or much extra money. For $20, what is the best mic that I can get for my computer? Thanks.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

That one behringer one. It supposedly rivals the SM57 in sound quality (though not in ruggedness).

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@english-one)
Estimable Member

Yeah, take a look at the behringer range of microphones. they are really very good for their price.

To be honest, you probably wont be needing anything really expensive if it's just a bit of home recording, so a behringer should be fine, even if theyre not quite the same build quality of an SM57

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Yep,

The Behringer XM8500 is probably the best $20 mic in the world. It is primarily designed for vocals, but it will work well for mic'ing a guitar amp or acoustic guitar as well.

HOWEVER, you would need to buy a mic cord (cheap), and possibly an adapter for your computer. I don't know, I've never recorded into a computer.

Behringer XM8500 Microphone

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys, that mic looks perfect for what i wanna do, just some simple home recordings, nothing fancy.

Other than the mic, what exactly do I need to record onto my computer? Is there a kind of cable that will go directly from the mic into my computer, like a usb port plug? Thanks.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I think I'm going to pick up one of those for myself. I've heard that they have high quality sound but, not so high quality construction. But I don't plan on throwing it around the room anyway.

For my mic, I had to buy a XLR female –to- ¼ male cable, then a ¼ female -to- 1/8 male adapter. After that I just hook it into the microphone jack in my laptop.

Works for me.

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

I bought that Behringer XM8500 about two weeks ago. It's a very nice mic for $20. It seems to be pretty well built as well. With it I bought a Behringer UB802 mixer for $50. The combo works very well going into my line-in on my SB Audigy card in my PC. Sounds much better than my RadioShack cheapy mic I had before. I highly recommend it.

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote