Clear all

got a new amp today/1st gig review

15 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

it's a carvin x100b 100 watt all tube head and a 4x12 speaker cab used for $400 bucks. it's got a lead and rhythm channel and a pull knob for distortion and a pull knob for bright lead. it's got a good tone, clean and distorted, although i don't think i'd have too much use for the bright lead channel. it is LOUDer than a mf'er, too. i had it up around 2 and a half or3 before it was louder than i can get my old 30 watt marshall combo amp.
the guy that sold it was a bald guy that talked my ear off, but was pretty nice, said he had never taken it out of his practice room, but my band's got its first gig tomorrow and i was worried about being heard over the drums and having to fiddle with the knobs for the harder songs. now i'll mostly just have to worry about my eardrums.
anyway, i just wanted to share.

(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

sounds like you got exactly what you needed.

be sure to tell about the gig tomorrow! good luck, hope it goes well

ReplyQuote
 Moai
(@moai)
Estimable Member

Congrats! I can't wait to hear about the gig!

Bettie Page is the most beautiful woman who ever lived. You better recognize, G!

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Earplugs, man. I used to use them with my x100b. That is one LOUD amp. Well, it's got that 100/50/25 switch in the back, but when it's at 100 percent, it's got tons of available headroom.

Great purchase - congrats!

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

8)

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Sounds like a great deal. Good luck at you gig.

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Sounds like you got a great deal. with the 25, 50, 100 watt switch you can set it for 25 and drive it into saturation to get a real nice overdrive and still be heard. Have fun.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

turn your amp up and get a volume pedal.
play at lower volumes, but when you need to stepout your lead hit the pedal and you got it all man.
props on your find.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Best of luck.And pics 8)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

well, the gig went well enough. we didn't get started as early as we wanted due to the sound man, so we had to cut two songs, and there were some problems with the levels. i could barely hear the singer and drummer. there was one other mishap when the drummer's foot pedal fell apart in the middle of his big drum solo intro to a song.
other than that it was good. there weren't any major flubs, and we sounded good together. it took me a song to get my hands warm and i didn't really feel comfortable most of time i was up there, since i was worried about all this peripheral stuff. the whole set felt extremely intense, and every second seemed to last an hour. during practice, it seems like we breeze through it in a heartbeat, but not tonight.
anyway, everyone said we sounded great and we got plenty of compliments.
my solos were good... i struggled a little bit at first, and turned one speed solo into this little bouncy thing, and blazed through most of my other ones, but without being able to hear the other guys much, i really never felt comfortably in the pocket rhythmically, although noone seemed to notice.
stayed sober all night, too, which is a good thing for me.
sorry, no pics.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

brothertupelo

Sounds like the guitars must have been loud. You WERE worried about being able to be heard over the drums, now you can't hear them. :shock:

You haven't really had time to get used to your new amp. Once you do, you should get a better mix.

Joe (Forrok Star) had great advice. Use the lowest possible watt setting you can get away with. This will allow you to drive the amp and get saturation. That is what you want. You will probably never need the 100 watt setting unless you play outdoors.

It is important to learn to relax at gigs (easier said than done). It is very natural to feel a little nervous or uptight. That can hurt your playing. So just tell yourself to relax and that you are going to have fun. Don't take yourself too serious. It gets easier each time.

Drummers always do stuff like that. :D

Congrats on the gig. Sounds like you guys did alright.

When's your next gig?

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

we've never started when they said we would....get used to that.

Ive had the same problems not being able to hear my band mates. it wasnt from too loud this or that..just bad monitors.
during sound check I make sure I can hear everyone in the monitor, but soimething happens into the gig and i can hear myself and the drummer.
the bass kinda comes through from the back wall of the house we play.

I am never comfortable when that happens; I have trouble getting relaxed in order to get my groove on fire.

I tell myself the next gig will be better. never perfect always somewhat.

glad to hear you made it through.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

yeah, the monitors were a big problem. the keyboardist/singer had trouble hearing himself, too, and none of us could hear ourselves on the harmonies. our next gig is next month unless we find another one sooner, and we're running the show, so we'll be able to control all that. we'll play a song or two before we start... get a real sound check in and get everything the way we like. we're also getting a new bassist, so that'll add a nice dynamic. i started as a bassist in the band, but i brought in my guitar one day and they really liked it, so i've been playing guitar since then. the keys have been covering the bass, but it's not really the same thing.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Ive had the same problems not being able to hear my band mates. it wasnt from too loud this or that..just bad monitors.
during sound check I make sure I can hear everyone in the monitor, but soimething happens into the gig and i can hear myself and the drummer.

I had the same problem. During the sound check, I could hear everyone. Then during the show after others had played, I got up there..... started and couldn't hear $#!*. I knew the mic's were hot earlier and the (bad) sound guy must have killed the monitors because of it.

Our friend set up the sound, but couldn't stay and we were stuck with the bouncer/sound killer! :shock:

ReplyQuote