Clear all

Got A New Budget Reso!

66 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Last Saturday MF ran a "Stupid Deal of the Day" on their Rogue spider bridge resonator for $140. (Usually it's $180, which is still a very low price.) I got it today! :D

If I didn't know how cheap it was, I'd think it was a much pricier one. It's very nicely made and finished, and really sounds great! Nothing about it is obviously "cheap." I don't see how those Chinese can make things as nicely and as cheaply as they do! (This one's much more nicely finished than my 2001 Johnson, and I really can't find any obvious flaws.)

I know spiders aren't traditionally regarded as "blues guitars," but they sure do have a nice characteristic sound! This one's got really booming bass, is way louder than my tricone, and has loads of sustain. It's got that nice kinda nasal twang on the attack and "hollow" tone that a dobro's expected to have. Looking inside, it has an unpainted cast aluminum spider, tightly fitted ebony capped maple saddles, and a spun cone that's sitting in a proper soundwell. (I haven't generally been a fan of spiders built with support posts instead, thinking they may sound more like souped up dreadnoughts or something.) The soundwell has round holes, bigger than the ones in my old Johnson spider, and I think there may be fewer of them. 6 in total, I believe, 3 opening into the upper bout, 3 into the lower, and their diameter takes up nearly the whole height of the well.

The strings are 80/20 brass wound .013-.056". Tuners are no-name sealed Grover types that work very smoothly with little backlash and seem secure.

All in all, I highly recommend this budget reso. I'm having fun with it. I'll get around to recording and posting something eventually. :D

In case you don't know, tricones, biscuit bridge single cones (National style) and spider bridge single cones (Dobro style) are the three main types of resonator guitars, and they each have their own distinctive sounds. It's usually pretty easy to tell which one you're hearing in a recording. Things like metal vs. wood bodies, differences in sound holes and such further modify it. I suppose I need to get a biscuit one of these days.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

Congrats, and how about some photos?

But somehow "playing with my rogue" just doesn't have the same ring to it as "playing with my johnson."

:wink:

Best,
ande

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Congrats on the new guitar!
I don't see how those Chinese can make things as nicely and as cheaply as they do!

They're made by 13 year olds, (cough, I MEAN 16 year olds!) :roll:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@bmancv-60)
Estimable Member

Congrats and share pictures! The reso guitars have always fascinated me.

"...I don't know - but whasomever I do, its gots ta be FUNKY!"

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Congrats on the new guitar!
I don't see how those Chinese can make things as nicely and as cheaply as they do!

They're made by 13 year olds, (cough, I MEAN 16 year olds!) :roll:

LOL! :lol: Good one Wes! :wink:

Congrats on the new reso Ric. 8) How about some sound clips? :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Congrats Ricochet! I was wondering if anyone was gonna get one of those. 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I'll get a round tuit.

Wes, I've heard those claims of Chinese "slave labor," "child labor" and so forth for years, but never with any sort of documentation of abusive labor practices in the Chinese guitar building industry. I'm sure their employees are low-paid by our standards, they'd have to be. So are workers in many other countries. Is that a good reason to boycott their business so they don't get paid at all?

Whoever they are, they do mighty nice work!

I suspect they have the latest automated mass production equipment that does most of the parts cutting and shaping, at least.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I'll get a round tuit.

Wes, I've heard those claims of Chinese "slave labor," "child labor" and so forth for years, but never with any sort of documentation of abusive labor practices in the Chinese guitar building industry. I'm sure their employees are low-paid by our standards, they'd have to be. So are workers in many other countries. Is that a good reason to boycott their business so they don't get paid at all?

Whoever they are, they do mighty nice work!

I suspect they have the latest automated mass production equipment that does most of the parts cutting and shaping, at least.

Been there; seen the real factories. Many are modern, automated, clean, safe and staffed by workers and management who clearly are treated well. Pay is lower than in some other countries, but these are some of the best jobs to have. Anybody feel guilty about their Dells, iMacs, iPods, iPhones, flatscreen TVs, Tivos, DV recorders, DirecTV ... ? These are all made in China, and many by the same three or four gigantic manufacturers who are under direct contract to Dell, Apple, Gateway, Sony, Toshiba ... and my company as well.

Enjoy it Ric. Post those sound clips.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Congrats Ric! Can't wait to hear it. Maybe I'll buy one for my daughter for her 12th Bday coming soon. Think she'll like it? If not, I could always hold onto it. :roll:

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I don't know your daughter, BL. If she's a typical 12 year old, she'd probably rather have the abovementioned iPhone. :lol:

But the Rogue Spider's a fun piece and a good value!

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Just kiddin. She say OMG..DAD!

Have to see some pics too Ric. Be sure to post em!! :D 8)

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Just kiddin. She say OMG..DAD!
You'll get very familiar with hearing that. :D

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Wes, I've heard those claims of Chinese "slave labor," "child labor" and so forth for years, but never with any sort of documentation of abusive labor practices in the Chinese guitar building industry.
Participants in the Olympics must be 16 to compete. Apparently, regarding China's "Women's" Gymnastic team, the Chinese have a "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy. They're more like 12 or 13.
But they have been in training since they were 3 or 4 so I doubt they were the ones used to make your Reso.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Ah! So! I didn't understand the Olympic reference. I haven't been paying much attention to that stuff.

Some places (COUGHIGSFORUMCOUGH) I've heard people get really worked up in high dudgeon about Chinese guitars being built by "slave labor and political prisoners."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Some places (COUGHIGSFORUMCOUGH) I've heard people get really worked up in high dudgeon about Chinese guitars being built by "slave labor and political prisoners."

It's more likely they'd be forced to build banjos ... and then play them - sans tuning and instruction :shock:

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 5