Notifications
Clear all

Got A New Budget Reso!

66 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Hey Ric! Sweet guitar there! Good find on that one.
You're a rock star dude! That was a great tune! Two thumbs way up!!!!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

LOL! Thanks, Blueline!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Be afraid.
Be very afraid. :lol:

Be vERy VerY afraid. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

LOL! Thanks, Blueline!
Edit...I fixed so you have long hair. Now you are a cross between David Gilmour and David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

:mrgreen:

Hey, I had really long hair, once upon a time.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

OK, I finally recorded an instrumental so you can hear the guitar without me singing over it. A version of Amazing Grace.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDNwiOI7p4w

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Very nice playing! It is a nice tune. You should record more videos, your playing is great!

I never played a resonator but I bought a slide some time ago and I tried out to use it with my guitars. I mean I have a null experience although I tried to do it. Well, when you play it seems so easy! Amazing!

Thank you very much! :D

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Very nice!

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

As we say in Miami, Mucho bueno.
We ought to get together. We could jam out on Amazing Grace.
It's one of the three and a half songs I can do.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thank you!

That video really ought to be a "rough draft," as I just came up with that middle section a few minutes before recording it and it sounds a bit stiff because I kept thinking "OK, how am I going to do this next?" But I had a brief window of opportunity while Mrs. R, who was walking around the house happily chattering with her BFF on the portable phone, went to rummage in a closet upstairs. I said "Aw, it's good enough. It'll do." But you can tell even with the lo-fi sound from my FujiFilm S700 camera that it's a fine sounding guitar!

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Hey Ric! Just noticed this. Thats the reso I have. Mine is broken though, the tail piece snapped where it bends over the end of the body. Need to fix it, a new one is only $10 but I have been busy lately. I have the "Man Cave" wired, today I have to insulate the ceiling. My guitar was perfect as well except there is a little buzz on one of the strings around the 12th fret, but if your sliding on it, I guess that aint a problem. I pulled the trigger on mine when they were letting them go for $129. :wink: Mines even the same color. Well, off to Lowes ...... need to buy some Pink Panther. I just have to wait for your video to load so I can watch it. 8)

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, you need to fix that tailpiece. Resos are too much fun to have out of commission.

Yours could have a fret too high, which has to be fixed in the usual way, or could have the trussrod too tight. It could need the saddles shimmed up a bit. But a critical adjustment on spiders is the tension screw in the center of the bridge. If it's backed out too loose, the cone may buzz, the strings will feel sloppy, and the action will lower as the cone/bridge system is "squishier." As the screw is tightened, it all stiffens up and one effect is that the action rises. You don't want to overdo it as the screw can strip, the cone can be dented or crushed, and the spider's legs can bend or break. Back it out carefully, counting the turns in 1/8 turn increments so you can get back to where you started. You'll feel where it gets looser as all the pressure on the bridge slacks off. Gently tighten it and feel the point where the resistance just goes up as the bridge starts to press on the cone. Somewhere between 1/4 and 1 full turn tighter than that, you'll find a sweet spot. Probably on the softer side. As it gets tighter, the treble response goes up and the bass goes down.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Oh I had the whole thing apart and adjusted everything ... :lol: I had it singing. It's a fret thats out of wack but like I said, for sliding it don't matter.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I like 'em to still be frettable. Sometimes I fret more than others. I was just fretting and pulling off of one note in the A.G. video I posted.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Oh it's not a problem. It's been out of comission for a bit so I don't remember the exact string or fret but its near where the neck joins the body and is the 2nd or 3rd string. It's lead guitar territory, the rest of it plays fine. I found any notes or chords I would play were on the opposite end of the neck and I would slide almose exclusively in the higher register. Oh by the way Ric, I really liked that video clip. Nice job! 8) Yours sounds better, I think it might be something to do with the slide chops of the player. :?

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 5