Got my own question on modes...

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hi,
I know theres just been a thread on modes, but i just wanna clear something up about their use -
If im playing in A.
Do I take the major scale with the root note on A and then just do whatever mode I think complements the peice best?

Or

If say I wanna use phrygian, am I actually supposed to have the 3rd major scale note starting on the A?

Which one of those is the correct way of using em?

(@steve-0)
Noble Member

If you want to solo in A, but don't want to use the A major or A minor scale, then you could use a mode... so you could choose A mixolydian or A lydian if you wanted something that sounded like a major scale but a bit different, or you could use A phygrian or A dorian if you wanted a more minor sounding tone. Most people use parellel modes like this, it's a good way to create a different sound.

Locrian is rarely used and it's apparently only a "theoretical mode", in other words, rarely used in practice (although i'm not too sure if it's used much in jazz) but still technically a mode because it's built from the diatonic scale.

Of course, you can get even deeper then that and use harmonic minor (minor with a major 7th) or melodic minor (minor with major 6th and major 7th, or a major scale with a flatted 3rd)... naturally those scales have modes too, which makes the whole situation even more complicated, luckily outside of jazz modes aren't used too much.

I don't really like using modes too much, the exception being the dominant phygrian mode (5th mode of the harmonic minor), which sounds really cool. Other then that, I mostly stick to pentatonics, major and harmonic and natural minor: but i'm really interested in rock, metal and classical music styles as opposed to jazz which uses modes alot.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Ah ok thanks. that answered my question perfectly!
When applying modes to melodic and harmonic minor scales are the principles the exact same? ionian --> dorian --> phrygian etc? Or not?

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I believe it is, but like I said I'm by far no expert... basically when something is a key... unless you want to change key, you should always use the scale in that key: so in A, you could use A dorian or any other mode you wanted to use.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote