Clear all

Greg Bennett Avion 3 ***I GOT IT***

19 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@kblake)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Anyone have any reviews about Greg Bennett guitars mainly the Avion 3?
or Greg Bennett guitars in general?
I have a Epiphone Special 2 looking for another though or maybe I might just get some new pick ups in the special 2?

Thanks
Keith

I know a little bit about a lot of things, but not a lot about anything...
Looking for people to jam with in Sydney Oz.......

(@chris-c)
Famed Member

G'day,

While you're waiting for someone with personal experience of them, there's some videos here with Greg telling you he thinks they're great (well he would wouldn't he.... ) and why.

Videos about the guitars

And there's some reviews here:

User reviews at Harmony central

I was keen on the Royale for a while, but in the end I went for something else.

Good hunting :)

ReplyQuote
(@kblake)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

G'day Chris,
I have seen the videos and the user reviews but I value the opinions of the guys here, I have been reading GN forums for a while now and a lot of the fellas seem like friends. even though we have never met.....

Thanks
Keith

ReplyQuote
(@ladinsky14)

The Greg Bennett Samick line offers a lot of bang for the buck. I have a Greg Bennett AV7 which is a clone of the Les Paul Custom. It is there top of the line Avion and is very comfortable to play. I also have the Greg Bennett Ultramatic UM3, which is there PRS clone. Much lighter than the AV7, but still screams. You can get great deals on these guitars by looking on Ebay. The AV7 and UM3 models are both Korean made. The AV3 is made in either Indonesia or China. The AV7 and UM3 both have Duncan Designed Humbuckers whereas the Avion AV3 uses a more generic humbucker.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

G'day mate! :lol:

Okay, on to the subject... :)

As I've said before, Samick has a reputation for making a helluva guitar for the money, and they probably have the biggest budget guitar reputation on the planet, whether you know it or not... (I think somebody here said that Samick made 60 percent of all the guitars made last year! :shock: They make guitars for other, more popular companies, so thats the reason they've made so many... ) They definatly know what they're doing...

I think it would definatly be a good buy, but don't forget to play it before you buy it (I, unfortunatly, have not played a Samick yet, but I want to...).

Happy buying! :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Hey all,

Personally I own two of em. And they're my two favorites of my 5 guitars.

One a "SAMICK-Greg B" Tennesee Traveler 16, its a lil Parlour Acoutstic Guitar. I love this thing. Its my "woodshed'' guitar. I figure stuff out, learn, practice on this, then I go to one of my others and "plug in". It has a full scale neck, sounds great and its real easy to play. Not to mention the fit an finish is barre none for the price I paid, like $200 or something.

The other, believe it or not, is my Epi Custom Special. YES IT IS A SAMICK.

If you want to check for yourselves. Next time your in a guitar shop, look at the back of the necks, up towards the head stock. You'll see a nice round cut line through the neck. That's how you know its a samick.

I figure they design these that way for the following:

The machine that builds the necks can rapid fire out the blanks and make a uniform, accurate cut every time, and they mill these in huge lots. Then the machine(s) that create the headstock parts like wise pump out huge numbers of each kind a day.

When they get to the assembly stage of construction, (before they glue on the fingerboard), they attach the appropriate headstock on to the neck piece with the same uniformed cut....etc.

Again, look at the back side of the necks, towards the headstock, but under the nut. You'll see it, its there.

Now for my opions. I think the Samick are some of the BEST BANG for the buck, in terms of fit and finish. Would I buy another one? Sure would.

Would I buy one for Investments sake? Nope. I'll stick to the old Fender or Gibson for For those...

Cheers
Sorry if I bored anyone with my dribble.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@kblake)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey Chris,
See now there are names I know have replied here and have swayed me into going playing one with the intent of buying an AV3 or maybe an AV6

Thanks Guys

And yoyo....

Thanks cobber and avagoodweekend !

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

Just a copy of my post from earlier down the page. Seems better placed here..........

I got the new Samick Avion AV3 yesterday and gave it a good workout for 2 days........

Man I love this guitar and the pics do not do this thing justice, a work of art and I love the sound/voicing with my present sound chain so much better than my other guitars!

I was scoping out epiphone standards at around $500 but didn't want to go for the cash with having 5 guitars already. I picked this new guitar up from a dealer on ebay for $189, usually sells for $289 and is worth twice that compared to some others I have seen. It is made very well and I see no need in the future for upgrading anything on it.

I never thought I could be this happy with a guitar. For once I expected less for my money and got more. I guess this is the one for me. Cool

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@kblake)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Excellent thanks Joe

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hey Chris,
See now there are names I know have replied here and have swayed me into going playing one with the intent of buying an AV3 or maybe an AV6

Sounds good. Can't have too many guitars. :D

I rather enjoyed those videos of Greg Bennett talking about the guitars (I downloaded both the Avion and the Royale videos and obsessed over them for a while!) He's a good salesman, and made some interesting technical points too.

I still have a quick fondle of the Royales whenever I go to the local music shop. :)

Let us know if you get it and how you find it. Good hunting. :D

ReplyQuote
(@king07)

The Greg Bennett series of guitars are very good, I have 2 Acoustics from the range the D5 and the D5CE. Cant fault them they are great to play and are well priced for what tyou get from them. I am looking at getting the Fastback as well to add to the collection.

ReplyQuote
(@kblake)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I couldn't help myself, went in and played it and walked out with it !
Sound great on its own and with the V-Amp sounds even better....

Thanks for ALL the help

Ps.....

There is nothing WORSE (when you have limited ability) than trying to play in a music shop, I twanged a few open chords a few barr chords then a couple of Pentatonic scales. I did ok but I still felt a nice shade od RED when I finished lol :oops:

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

What a beauty! :D

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

What a beauty! :D

+1! I hope you enjoy it! :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

OH my goodness, that is SO beautiful. I want ONE!!!.. Hope you enjoy that baby.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2