guitar and harmonica

20 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

I'd say well done mate :-)
Take your Lee Oscar blow your lungs out.
I agree with the three tricky things being mentioned above:

1. Understanding which harp to use when. Good covered above - I've written something more or less correct earlier too. If you search my profile for 'harp', I guess you will find it. Since you're into Dylan there is a great compilation of Dylan Harp keys somewhere ... lets see ... http://www.dylanchords.com/harp/harpkeys.htm

2. Playing single notes - tounge or lips, yeah. Go ahead and try, you can do it!!!!

3. Bending - practice, practice, practice... :-)

Guitar and harmonica is lots of fun!! I'll give you a few of my favourites too (in no particular order):
He ain't heavy, he's my brother
John Wesley Hardin'
Hymn to Freedom
It's all over now baby blue
Love me do
She Belongs to me

Finally - since this was brought up now, and since I'm posting my first post in months, and since we had a small gig at my wife's 40th birthday this friday, and since the only song my daughter bother to record was (parts of) 'happy birthday' - with harmonica - here is some exclusive footage!! The file is huge and the quality is extremely crappy ;-)
(direct link)
http://home.online.no/~carolbo/musikk/bilder/MOV01863.MPG

Good luck!!!

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Hey Lars, good to see you! Where have you been! Nice new avatar too.....and nice new Tele, by the look of it!

Re-reading this post makes me want to hunt out a bunch of Dylan/Neil Young/Donovan tabs, buy a harmonica brace (is that what they're called?) and hit those acoustic chords......

Question for people who play guitar and harmonica - how hard is it playing guitar and playing harmonica at the same time? How does it compare to playing guitar and singing at the same time? Easier or harder?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Re-reading this post makes me want to hunt out a bunch of Dylan/Neil Young/Donovan tabs, buy a harmonica brace (is that what they're called?) and hit those acoustic chords......

good plan!!

How hard is it?? Oh it's just like building space ships, walking the tight rope or proving mathematical theorems - its not hard at all ... once you know it :-)

I *think* the trick for me is to know the guitar part well. With a straight forward strumming pattern it is fairly easy (after 15 years of practice) to make up a harmonica part. But once the guitar gets complicated the harmonica playing gets more difficult obviously. Finger picking 'don't think twice it's all right' with harmonica goes pretty well, but the other day I attempted to do Dylan's version of 'Baby let me follow you down' and my brain nearly exploded :evil:

Start with a simple song you know well

(and thanks for the welcome back!! Where have I been? Busy playing guitar, and buying a 1974 Land Rover :lol: :lol: )

lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@reynold)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

thank u so much guys for guiding me :D and inspiring me as well. cool i cant wait to leave office and start playing the harmonica...just got a neck hoder too great!! can u guys suggest me some songs that are good to start with a C harp. i wanna play along with my acoustic guitar.

peace out :D

" Take what you can from your dreams and make them real as anything " - Dave Matthews.

ReplyQuote
(@reynold)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

*neck holder

" Take what you can from your dreams and make them real as anything " - Dave Matthews.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2