Notifications
Clear all

guitar buying

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@dropdead23)
Topic starter  

Can i seek advice on buying the guitar? What I need is a professional sounding hard rock/metal guitar (rythm, not shredding) for recording. I want the best for value without having to do anything later to improve the sound(like changing pickups). The Ibanez's are too thin and fuzzy sounding. So the choice is between Jackson/PRS/ESP and ?? Pls remember this is for recording mainly.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Look back through time you'll see that Gibson Les Paul customs and Fender Strat's high on the list.

All others fall into place as guitarists moved into the for front.

Just my thoughts

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@joe-momma)
Trusted Member

I'm not much of an electric player, but it doesn't get much more ROCK than a les paul, again i'm pretty clueless but hasn't the les paul studio got all the thrills but none of the frills, at half the price.

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

When you're thinking of which guitar to buy, try not to think in terms of brand. Think about the precise elements of sound you want and then which guitar's components will generate that sound.

Les Pauls tend to be "thick" sounding and more middy than other guitars because of their thick bodies, set necks, humbucking pickups, fixed bridge, etc.

Virtually every combination of elements can be found in some make of guitar, explore and think critically about the sound you're hearing and why.

2 other things to keep in mind:
1. Don't forget your amp, it makes a huge difference in the sound you're getting.
2. Avoid "features" you don't use. If you aren't going to whammy, don't get a floyd rose, it's just more maintenance if you're not getting something out of it.

Happy hunting.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@joe-momma)
Trusted Member

Meow

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

A professional guitarist can make professional recordings with dozens of different brands. Any recommendation based on the criteria is utterly and totally pointless. Just go to the local music stores and try all the guitars they have. Brands that are worth checking out (note: just a small selection):

Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, PRS, Dean, Yamaha (yes, they make top quality guitars!) Godin, Jackson, G&L. Each of these brands will no doubt have a dozen or so different models that allow you to make 'professional recordings'.

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

Id say get a high quality amp instead. Amps are cooler. And bigger.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote