Guitar - Camping Outdoors

14 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@lunarist)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hello guys and gals,

I go camping every year in May with buddies of mine and this year I'd like to bring my guitar along. I only have one and it's an electricacoustic Takamine. I paid $800 for it. I'm not really concerned about dings or scratches because I don't get rowdy and I'm really careful with it.

My question is will it do the guitar harm if it's outside for 4 days. The temperatures can range from 40 degrees to 75 degrees. If it's in the 40's that would be the low with a high of 55. If we get lucky the daytime highs could be in the 70's with the lows reaching 50.

Or....should I just buy a $200 camping guitar? :)

Thanks,

Lunarist

(@banre)
Reputable Member

I would go for the camping guitar, but you don't even have to spend that much....

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Acoustic?sku=511682

That way you really won't be worried about the damage to it. I've got a simlar Fender that was purchased for one of the kids. It's not horrible at all. I'm sure it would be just fine for some campfire songs.

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Or check the pawn shops, etc. in your area.
I regularly see used accoustics for under $100 (canadian$$).
Usually at that price they don't look that great, but they sound adequate to good, if you can get past that someone else's kid has scribbled on the back with a magic marker, or something.
As always with a used guitar: play it, listen to it.
Who knows, you might stumble across a real good find while you're looking :wink:

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@odiewon)
Eminent Member

I'd just pick up a beater that you like if money is no object. Example, at the local pawn shop here, they carry new Washburn and Oscar Schmidt acoustic guitars, and acoustic-electric. The regular dreadnaught models have a really great feel to them, and they sound okay too. $159. It doesn't get much better than that for camping, unless you want something smaller, for convenience.

"Never holster an unloaded weapon, it's just poor form." - Col. Jeff Cooper

ReplyQuote
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member

I got an old no name 3/4 size nylon string guitar that I take with me.It sounds fine and I don't have to worry about damaging it.A new replacement would only cost me $60!I also find the nylon strings far more reliable in the great outdoors.

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I always bring guitars when camping.
go ahead and bring yours. get a small battery amp and plug in too!

your guitar can handle the temp changes because it sits in a case for most of the time.
temps are not fluctuating rapidly; where you then would have problems.

just watch for flying embers and moisture. I know it could be romantic seeing morning dew on your guitar. but avoid that :wink:

beater guitars are perfect for camping too.
you're never left without a paddle.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@poorpetebest)
Trusted Member

Check out the cheap acoustics at http://www.rondomusic.net too. They might not be the best but if you're looking for a functional beater guitar, I doubt you would find better price and quality in that category.

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Ultimately you can never have to many guitars. Just ask Nick although he did just sell a few to make room for a revovation.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Another factor to consider would be if you are comfortable leaving an $800 guitar in a tent/camper that may not be secured while you go hiking, swimming, biking, etc. Might not be a safe bet, and locking the guitar in a closed vehicle would likely subject it to higher temps than you'd want.

You don't want your camping trip wrecked by having to babysit an expensive piece of well-loved equipment.

I'd go for the beater and leave your good one at home.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@thectrain)
Estimable Member

I bought a cheap laminate top guitar just for that reason because I try to get out camping 5+ times during the short season we have. I bought it because one the temperature does change from 30C(86F) to close to 0(32F) sometimes below that. Plus sometimes several cases of beer are consumed on any given day and there is no telling how I am going to treat the guitar. Someone mentioned morning dew yeh that happened once and I'm really glad I didn't have anything more expensive there.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

It will be fine if you keep it out of direct sun, rain. Really any extreme weather conditions. What I do is during the day when I keep them in a tent is I cover them up to protect them. Some how I had this idea that doing this would keep it from getting to hot or cold because its insulated from the elements.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

If you have a flea market in your area check it out, I found an old beater at the one here, talked the guy down to $25 for it. I keep it in the trunk of my car for when I want to play at lunch time or when the wife drags me along shopping so I can hang out in the parking lot and play while she shops

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

If you have a flea market in your area check it out, I found an old beater at the one here, talked the guy down to $25 for it. I keep it in the trunk of my car for when I want to play at lunch time or when the wife drags me along shopping so I can hang out in the parking lot and play while she shops

I like the way you think.

Hmmm. lemme see... Yellow pages... Flea markets - used goods - pawn shops...

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@lunarist)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Lunarist

ReplyQuote