Guitar Center?

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I'm 18, in my senior year at high school, planning on going to a local university(University of Scranton) in the fall.
I have a nice little guitar lessons business going, based out of my home. 10 students, usually 5 or 6 show up a week. I make $10 for a half-hour lesson. It pays my car insurance and gas money, etc. I play out probably once every 2 weeks, and usually make $50 or $60. However, when I go to college, I'm going to have a car payment, and will need a more steady income.
First, there is a guitar center opening right by the University in a month or two. Is it worth sending them an application? Do they give lessons there-could i teach there? There are also some other music stores around...and I have connections.
Would they want somebody who is 21? Is it worth working there?
Second, I live just outside the city of Scranton(80,000 people), Pennsylvania. There are some gigs out there. Does anyone have any other ideas as far as using music to make money?

(@rocker)
Noble Member

do all the above and put out flyers at your school offering guitar lessons, i think you will do fine 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hmmm, the Guitar Center doesn't seem to be accepting apps yet. My concern is that it would be a bad employer. I mean, there are so many horror stories about guitar center, I can't help wondering how they treat their employees. Does anybody have any info about this?

ReplyQuote
(@hobozcar2000)
Trusted Member

What are the horror stories from Guitar Center? I've bought a lot of stuff from them and they've always been great. I do know that my local GC does not offer lessons. I think because they are a little to corprate.

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Hmmm, the Guitar Center doesn't seem to be accepting apps yet. My concern is that it would be a bad employer. I mean, there are so many horror stories about guitar center, I can't help wondering how they treat their employees. Does anybody have any info about this?

Usually teachers are different than salespeople. You should get paid a fixed rate per student.

Most colleges are a hive of musical activity. I wouldn't worry about finding bands or opportunities to play gigs. Just take the first couple of weekends can check it out.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

You may as well apply anyway -- you can always quit if they don't treat you well.

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Laz: I"m not too worried about finding places to play...college will be great for that as you said.

adam: That is my current plan...

ReplyQuote