Clear all

guitar choice

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@bfloyd6969)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I have never been more undecided about a guitar purchase as I am right now. I've been playing acoustic solely for the past several years and have been without an electric the whole time. This year for father's day, the family wants to get me an electric again. I have been looking around and am interested in the following:

ESP LTD George Lynch GL200M - used
Sterling by Music Man AX20 - used
Ibanez SA260FM - used
Fender MIM strat - used
Fender MIM double fat strat - used
Steinberger Spirit GT Standard - new

All but the Steinie are used but in excellent to like new condition. I don't want to say I play a specific style, but I guess I lean more toward an old school, bluesy type punk. I would appreciate any and all comments on the guitars above and what you would buy. Thanks.

Why do we have to get old...

(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

I wouldn't tell you what to get, but my preference (what I like) would be the MIM Std. Strat with 3 single coils, for a good variety of sounds. And if it happens by some rare chance to be a Deluxe or Classic model, re-issue, that's a bit better! :D

There's the reliability and comfort factor too. Try a Std. Strat and see if you can handle slight decrease in width at the nut. Also without looking it up, I expect a Classic Strat to have 7.25" radius, and the Std. to be 9.5". The others may be flatter?

Oh BTW, I edited and looked it up, nut width, even on the Std. is said to be 42 mm. like the others - that's good, but comes as a surprise when they were narrower before. I have some older MIM Std's and they jam up my fingers due to tight spaces.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@bfloyd6969)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the reply and opinions, much appreciated. I' used to be a strat player before I switched to acoustic, so that was my first search. During the search, the others popped their heads up so I wanted to consider them. I think what makes the strat feel like a narrower nut width is the larger fingerboard radius. The ones I found are just standards, but I agree that a classic or deluxe would be nice :)

Why do we have to get old...

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i'd try playing them and go with the one that feels the best. at worst, you can always swap out the electronics later.

ReplyQuote
(@cycledude)

Obviously you have to play them to see which is best for you, but if you fancy yourself old school blues, then I'd think Strats are your best bet. The George Lynch ESP and the Ibanez would be out. They're great metal or shredder guitars but not to bluesy.

7 pc. Gretsch Catalina Maple Drum Kit
Ibanez EX series electric guitar
PRS SE 25th Anniversary Custom 24

ReplyQuote