Notifications
Clear all

Guitar for a size challenged woman

20 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@scott_r)
Trusted Member

The Daisy Rock guitars seem to be aimed more at very young girls. You mentioned that she's an adult, so she might be a little beyond the Daisy Rock thing. They are pretty nice guitars, though.

I have my 10 year-old daughter playing a Squier strat. Size-wise, it works out very well for her.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Also, as far as acoustics, you might check out 'parlor' guitars. They were originally designed for the stay-at-home wives of the late 18th and early 19th century women I've heard. The 000 sized guitars. Actually I prefer them to dreadnoughts. Some are normal scale, some are smaller. Even Johnson has some inexpensive (but well reviewed) parlors like the L-Style, and even Fender makes their GDP100, which is a parlor size. I'm pretty average sized, don't have small hands, but I just like the way they sit in the lap better than dreads. Funny, I sometimes read threads where a beginner is having problems with a big dreadnought guitar - especially the inexpensive beginner models - and it got me to wondering why more companies didn't just have beginner lines of the triple 0 size. I think it's because dreadnoughts, the size and the shape are just embedded in the mass conscious by this time as being 'the default' acoustic guitar.

And then the rest of us have to suffer by having to go out and special order something smaller and more comfortable and intimate-feeling, especially if you're like me and are left-handed.

Parlors or Auditorium-sized guitars might be cool though, for your daughter.

The electrics - I really love those Daisy Rock ones though. It's one of the few companies that make an affordable lefty electric 12-string, and, being a lefty, I don't care if it IS pink! :)

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

Try the PRS Santana SE. I have it and I think I'm ruined for any other guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

My friend wants to buy a guitar for his adult daughter who is quite small and has very small hands. The axe is to be an xmas gift so try outs by the daughter ahead of time are out.We were wondering if anyone has speciific recomendations re a guitar that has a small or narrow neck or both.

As a guy with small hands, (most adult women I know have larger hands than me) I've checked out some of the Daisy Rock guitars. The "Stardust" and "Rock Candy" models are some seriously sweet axes with low profile necks.

The axes I own (that fit my teeny hands) Fender Standard Stratocaster and Standard Telecaster, Ibanez AM73, Gibson Les Paul Faded Double Cut, Martin D-15, and a Washburn D-12 (12 string).

Another you might want to check out is The Squier "Black and Chrome" Standard Telecaster. This one's got a narrower neck than the Fender Standard, but the same fingerboard radius. It's not as "twangy" as the Fender Standard either - the rosewood fingerboard and different pickups give it a dirtier, grittier sound that works well for blues and rock.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanx for all the comments and help. It looks like there is no real consenus but I can see an electric of some sort in the future. We have no shops where we live so it is off to the big city to try some out. There are some reputable dealers within 30 miles of here for Fender,Godin,PRS,Cort etc. No Daisy Rock around here but I'll mention them to him. We shall give them a whirl focusing on the specific models mentioned and I'll let you know what happens.
Robbie

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2