Guitar Lead = Tripping up!!!

11 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@notyetnirvana)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Heya,

Does anyone else have a problem with tripping over/getting tangled in your guitar lead whilst playing on stage? I can't do typical stage antics as much without the lead getting in the way, and yet I never see other people with this problem.

I run my lead around the back of my guitar, and through the back of the loop of my guitar strap, and then into my guitar's input. (If that makes sense).. Even with a long lead it still seems to get in the way. I never see other people with this problem.

Any ideas? (PS I dont really want to bother with those radio type input leads, as im guessing they would just cause no end of trouble, plus Im broke lol.)

Thanks.

"Me... In a Nuclear Power Plant?...... KABOOM! Hahahaha!" - Homer Simpson in Highschool.

Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I, too, am annoyed by that troublesome cord.

I did go to wireless tho. It is a bit more complicated setting up but once your connected it's great. :D

I found a good deal on one that works reliably and I think it was right around $100. Nady brand.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

One thing I've heard of...

Don't plug the lead straight into the amp.. loop it around the handle or something first so if you do pull on it... it won't come unplugged and make ya go dead in the middle of a ripping riff.

But then than could cause more problems like pulling your amp face down and causing a lot of damage.. Yikes!! :shock:

Mmmm so that means you have ONE more thing to think about when your playing/peforming.... "Where's my Lead"??

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

^ Yeah I'd rather have the amp go dead than risk pulling it over. Yessah....

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

I did that once - pulled an AC30 clean over :shock:

Being a Vox of course it never even stopped working or even came unplugged - but it frightened the life out of me. Fortunately, if I remember rightly, I wasn't playing anything more than a few background chords at the time, and it was only in a practice - so no harm done. But after that I went for those strange coiled telephone leads for a few years - at least you get advanced warning as it gets tight...

These days I don't leap about like that - so I'm back to ordinary leads!

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

as much as I try to keep from stepping on my cord and unplugging myself I find the challenge of tiny stages to be unsolvable.
except that now half the time I am sitting playing lap steel.

the only thing I know is to loop your cord around the strap and watch where youre going.

and no full beers on my amp please.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@azraeldrah)
Estimable Member

I use exceptionally long leads on stage, i dont have a problem with my lead but my stage antics occasionally lead me to fall over anyway :S.

looks like we both need better spacial awareness.

This signature is a forgery.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Wirless would be the way to go. I still find myself reaching down for a cable thats not there from time to time. I think it's because at different gigs sometimes I use wirless and sometimes I use a cable depending on where and how much exquipment I can have.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

This may be what you all are looking for:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/General/Accessories/Cables?sku=331567

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

This may be what you all are looking for:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/General/Accessories/Cables?sku=331567

That's precisely what I meant by "strange coiled telephone lead" :lol: :lol: :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@afterblast)
Estimable Member

Our band is made up of six people (guitar,guitar,bass,vocals,drums,keyboard) however our keyboardist switches over to drums on a couple of songs so we actually put two sets on stage. So 90 percent of the time my problems come from the stage being to small not the cord being to short. :roll:

wherever you go, there you are.

ReplyQuote