Clear all

Guitar Mags

18 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Just wondering what guitar magazines everyone here reads.

I like guitar world, the cd rom that comes with it is pretty cool, but it does cost 8 bucks. i think its $30 for a 12 issue subscription.

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

I had a subscription to Guitar Player. I almost never read the thing so I didn't renew it. I couldn't tell you if the magazine is worth reading. When I want specific info, I just look it up online.

Back in the 90s I loved those Guitar Mags with Tab. I would go to the convenience store every night and read um. My cousin ran the store, she didn't mind that I read all the mags for free. Not much else to do in a small town.

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@zacharias)
Estimable Member

guitar one is pretty good, nice articles, and i love the acoustic corner.

Zacharias Wolf

ReplyQuote
(@valleykayaker)

I like Acoustic Guitar Magazine. It has a good variety of articles and David Hodge also writes articles for it. In the new (August) issue he has one on transposing.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

I subscribe to Guitar One and really like it.

I've mentioned before, but you can get a great deal by going to http://www.magazines.com .

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

I also subscribe to Acoustic Guitar Magazine, Mostly because David writes for them, but also because it is a very informative magazine.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

Guitar Player is great, but I really like Guitar Techniques out of the UK. Its essentially 120 pages/issue of lessons in every imaginable genre. Great, great resource.

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Total Guitar, from the same stable as Guitar Techniques, is excellent. comes with a CD. GBP 4.99 per issue

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@muddy)
Trusted Member

i subscribe to acoustic guitar and guitar one... i really like the acoustic.. good article with great interviews and song selection.. love the fact they put a section in for us aspiring luthiers....
guit one is ok but mostly hits with the heavier stlyes of music.. they are awsome for detailing the how to's if ya want to shread like a cheese grater.. but i think i shall only be down to acoustic guit when the subsription comes up again..
but if more ya like to see the smoke coming off yer fingers guit one is perfect for ya

LIVELY UP YOURSELVES!!

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Guitar Techniques and Total Guitar every month and Guitarist if there is something of interest within - which is most months. :D

Costing me a fortune. Must get round to subscribing and saving a bob or two.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

Guitar Techniques and Total Guitar every month and Guitarist if there is something of interest within - which is most months. :D

Costing me a fortune. Must get round to subscribing and saving a bob or two.

8)
I susbscribe to the first 2, saves money and you get some nice freebies when you sign up

ReplyQuote
(@gadlaw)
Reputable Member

A new magazine out, Premiere issue at Barnes and Noble called 'Guitar Edge' which has as it's claim to fame 12 Tabs. More Tabs, less in the way of articles. A variety of styles, from the Beatles Yesterday, to Lynyrd Skynyrd's Sweet Home Alabama to Godsmack's Speak, to Cold Shot by Stevie Ray - well you get the idea.

Other than that, I like Acoustic Guitar Mag, Guitar Player, Guitar Pro and of course everything else. In America the Brit mags are good, and twice the cost of the others so I get those sparingly. As always, get thee to a magazine dealer, Barnes or even WalMart or anywhere you can pull them off the shelf and give them a browsing. Only you know what will tickle your fancy or give you the most positive experience you can get. And then when you find what you like subscribe -saves cash money. 8)

Enjoy your karma, after all you earned it.
http://www.gadlaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

I'm still a beginner at guitar; however, I've played piano for 40 years and minored in music at college so I'm not new to music. I get a couple of guitar magazines and look at a few others at my guitar teacher's house. Most of them use a lot of lingo and terminology I don't understand and which I can't decipher from the context. I keep thinking that over time, I'll absorb enough to be able to understand what they are talking about, but at this point I still get frustrated and soon put them down.

The guitar magazine I read the most is "Play Guitar!" magazine, specially written for beginners It covers both electric and acoustic, has a bit of theory, and music/tabs for songs I can actually attempt to play. News I can use and articles by David Hodge and Tom Serb! :D

The summer 2006 issue contains articles on bending strings, syncopated strumming patterns, gear reviews (on gear I might actually be able to afford), tab for Pride and Joy (SRV), If You've Got the Money, I've Got the Time (Willie Nelson), Back in Black (AC/DC), and chords and strum pattern for Doesn't Remind Me (Audioslave), along with lots of other stuff.

So for any beginners reading this thread, I recommend you check out Play Guitar! magazine.

http://www.playguitarmagazine.com is the mag's companion website

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@gadlaw)
Reputable Member

Funny you should mention that, Mr. Hodge himself in a message elsewhere in this board at the 'Outta Site Lesson Links' section - recommends the Fall Issue,
The Fall 2006 issue of Play Guitar! Magazine hits the newstands next week and you'll find a lesson on soloing for beginners by Tom Serb ("Noteboat" here on the forum pages), called Solo Flight as well as a barre chords for beginners piece by myself titled Raise The Barre. -dhodge

Myself being Mr. Hodge himself. A great magazine that doesn't come out often enough. Although, you know, after nine months of the guitar I don't know how cool it is going to the counter with the beginner guitar magazine, I have to slide one of those 15 dollar british guitar magazines on top of my pile so I can still look cool to the newly hired, soon to be fired book store employee. And Margaret, not that easy going from Piano to Guitar? Darn blast it, I was hoping that after a decade or so of learning the guitar I would be able to slide right over and bang on the Piano in short order. :roll:

Enjoy your karma, after all you earned it.
http://www.gadlaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

I susbscribe to the first 2, saves money and you get some nice freebies when you sign up

Yeah! I guess the reason I have been procrastinating is I'm waiting for a freebie I really want. By the time I get round to it I could probably have bought the freebie with the money I saved. :lol:

I'll get round to it this week. Honest. :lol:

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2