Notifications
Clear all

Guitar pick material

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@440hz)
Topic starter  

I want to bulk order some custom plectrums to promote my studio. But I just don't know of what material to order them. I usually bought the ones that felt good in the hand and neither knew nor cared whether it was made from plastic or cardboard. That ignorance came back and bit me in the *ss.

I compiled a small list of pick materials offered by some companies:

- V-resin
- Delrin
- Delrex
- carbon
- polycarbonate
- carbon fiber
- carbon nylon
- nylon
- celluloid
- PVC

I know nylon and celluloid (learned it's flammable quality when I put my sig in the ashtray with a cracked pick). But what are all these carbon this and that materials? V-resin? Delrin? Delrex? PVC?
I'm looking for that kind of Dunlop Gator Grip or Tortex pick and not like those slippery Dunlop 500 picks. I like 'm thick, stiff with flat edges and a rough finnish. I know I can have Dunlop put my logo on their picks, but it's gonna cost me dearly. Is there any material that comes close to properties of these Gator picks?

(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I don't know anything about materials - I've never paid any attention either - but... can you not get some samples from the company/companies you're thinking of using?

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@440hz)
Topic starter  

The problem with overseas orders is that after they received my payment and I received their samples in return, a month gone by. Thought it would be quicker to discuss this in a forum.
Surely some know something and all know everything ;)

The nylon picks are durable but very flexible and tend to "melt" at the tip over time.
I found out that the slippery Dunlop 500 picks are made from Delrin. Delrin and Delrex the same?.

Still haven't found much on those carbon flavoured picks. The companies use any 1 carbon name consistantly. As if they all just have their own name for the same carbon thing.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Yeah, good point. I was having a quick google on the subject and I found a page with loads of illustrations of most types on the dunlop site (those slippery 500s are apparently Delrin, and I imagine that as you suggest, Delrex is just what some other company has called the same material). http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/picks&cat=6

*snip: missed the bit about not wanting custom ones from dunlop the second time around. :roll:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I know I can have Dunlop put my logo on their picks, but it's gonna cost me dearly. Is there any material that comes close to properties of these Gator picks?

Clayton will do custom picks in their "Ultem" material, which is the same as Dunlop Ultex. This is a synthetic shell material, and it's semi-matte, closer to the matte Gator finish than the slick Delrin. (Pretty sure Gators are matte-finish Delrin, IIRC.)

Clayton also does custom acetal, delrin, and other materials, and the prices seemed pretty reasonable. Check out their online custom ordering system - pretty cool.

http://www.steveclayton.com/custom.html

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@440hz)
Topic starter  

Those Ultem picks look incredibly cool. Haven't seen a Ultem for real yet. http://www.intunegp.com/ has them a bit cheaper (only medium gauge though). Though the price is still a bit high for the market here. It would be nice to get a litle profit by selling them as my studio's own branded picks. Just a good popular pick material/gauge with my studio's logo imprinted on it (no phonenumbers and stuff). Maybe have to find some manufacturer in China or some place.

Thanks for the help guys. I got a good idea what is what.

ReplyQuote
(@aarrgg)
Eminent Member

I made my own pick from an old phone card :D. Work fine for me. Think the plastic is called "ABS".

"I face myself, to cross out what I've become
erase myself, and let go of what I've done"
- Linkin Park

ReplyQuote
(@thectrain)
Estimable Member

I like nylon picks personally. I always thought they had a nice tone to them.

ReplyQuote